Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshaft issues?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Nov 20, 2004.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I have been experiencing a pesky problem with my K5 since I got it and I think I finally pinpointed at least part of the problem. How would I know if I have driveshaft issues? Here is what is happening: There is constantly a loud humming sound while driving and it gets louder and is accompanied by a vibration upon acceleration. When accelerating or braking from 25 mph, there is a banging sound and if you let off the gas or the truck downshifts, the banging sound will get worse. The engine runs fine mechanically and I have pretty much ruled out an engine related problem. What could go wrong to cause symptoms like these? Bad U-joints? Bad yolk/tailshaft? Also, I do not know if this is related but the truck bangs into drive or reverse; putting it into reverse actually makes a loud metallic banging sound. I do not know if this is related either, but the passenger front tire is wearing very bad on the outer rim and the truck pulls hard to the right. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Any ideas?
    -Ben

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Is there any tinking , or pinking , or hollow sounds at all associated with this ?? Does your console , and door mirrors vibrate more than normal old trucks do ??

I thought I had a pinion bearing going the other day . I asked Marv , he said u-joints , and sure enough I finally toasted one .

People with fixed yokes can just drive with the back shaft out to be sure . Me , I just grabbed some u-joints from my trailbox , the best thing we should have in our trucks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Yes, my dash vibrates horribly as does the console and even the removeable top vibrates. Also I forgot to mention in the first post that from 0-10 mph, there is a loud squeaking that pulses (squeak - squeak - squeak, etc) when I accelerate and it is clearly coming from under the truck.