Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft lenght Question??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by backyardbuilt, Jul 28, 2002.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I have stock driveshafts on a 6" lift I am going to 8" I have a 12 bolt That I am replacing with a 14ff will I still need a longer shaft or is the size difference enough to use the stock one! Thanks in advace for all help!!!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Since you're on a stock shaft at 6", probably not. You're honestly lucky you got away with it at 6". A 14 FF's pinion is like 3/8" forward of a 12 bolt if I remember correctly. Your shaft is probably more like 2-3" too short as is and will only be worse.

You might get away with it for the time being. Try it out. How much length do you have left before it's too short?

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i went up to 10" from 6"...with the 6 i was still using the stock shaft with no problems...when i made the jump up i decided to go with a shaft that is two inches longer...

you will probably be ok with just the stock shaft unless you do alot of flexing...i did once with my stock shaft and my driveshaft started binding up pretty bad

Later

4. tackettb

tackettb Registered Member

Sorry to butt in, but since we are on the subject. I'm installing a 14b ff to replace the broken 10b, generally are the stock drive shafts compatible with this type of setup? And if I lower the TC 1" ?

5. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

You just need a conversion u-joint to make it work!!!

Thanks for the info guys I was planning on going CV just needed to convince the wife the old one would not work I am also going to go with 1350 joints all the way to the T-case!!

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

get napa part number 447 ujoint...it converts from the 10 bolt driveshaft ujoint size up to the 14 size so one set will be larger than the other

Later