Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft length question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Jun 6, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have done a search and all though there are a lot of Driveshaft post non of them answer my question so here it goes. I am doing a one-ton swap and I have no lift saggy stock springs and I have heard that my driveshafts will be too long. Is this the case and if so how much? I was curiuos as to if I can redrill my perches on the D60 to move axle forward 1.5" and use a zero rate in the rear to move aft 1.5" would this let me use my factory shafts? I don't want a zero rate in the front cause my ass-end is gonna sag as it is. I want to use my shafts because when I lift later on (when I have funds) I only want to buy custom shafts once and I like so many others on here am still waiting on my money tree to grow. :D

Thanks for the help.

Ira

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Somebody has got to know something.

3. rockspider

rockspider Registered Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are swapping 1ton axles on a K5 you cannot keep the stock axles due to the different Ujoints size. For sure the 14bolts rear will have a 1350. What size Ujoint does the 10bolts uses? 1310?
    Can't you take the driveshafts out of the same 1ton?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've been having to go through a bunch of driveshaft issues lately.

My opinion in your case is to do everything that you plan to that will affect driveline length, at one time, THEN worry about having them cut.

First, with springs, they have a locating pin in the center. So do the perches. You move that point on the perch, you end up with weight leveraging against the perch. Bad idea. Zerorates won't help either, you'd need a pin to center the zero rate, then another hole through both the perch and zero rate to mount the spring where you want?

All that to get beefier axles in *right now*, which I'm guessing you have no real use/necessity for with no lift at this point.

In the long run, the way I look at it on modifying a vehicle is to wait until the absolute last minute to spend money on doing things, and don't do 15 different things in 15 different increments. If you buy things way in advance, you invariably end up with changes to the original plan by the time comes to use what you bought a long time ago.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

But do I have to get my shafts cut down or will they fit like they are. Mind you with no lift I am not exactlly flexin it out. I am trying to figure out what I am going to need to do. I guess the only real way is to get them in and then measure. I just thought someone on here would have had some experience with this. I have seen where stock shafts fit perfect for a 4" lift and I was just curious how much too long my shafts were going to be if any.

Thanks.

Ira

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i can answer one of these questions:

IMO, 1.5" relocation on the spring perches is pushing it. I have mine moved 1" via re-drilled perches, and I wouldn't personally go a fraction more...

j

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks I might just be biting the bullet and piecing together a lift I am only looking for 4" so it should be fairly cheap. I dont have crossover and is a little out of my budget so I am going to go with springs in front and prolly shackle flip in rear. That should solve my driveshaft issues.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sounds like a reasonable plan. You ought to be able to find some used 4" lift springs around (maybe here on ck5)... plenty of people go links or 52/56/57" springs and don't need their old lift springs after that.

j

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

As a matter of fact I just sent EstebanK5 payment for his old springs. Now I gotta find rear springs or get the flip.

10. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

FYI...

There are conversion joints out there. I am running one right now that has the 1330 (10 bolt) to 1310 (12 bolt) conversion. They have them for other applications too.

Rick

11. rockspider

rockspider Registered Member

rick88blaze thanks for the reminder, but I'm still in doubt. I've seen catalogs for those conversion joints in the past, serching for a cheapo way to connect a 1410 driveshaft to a 1350 yoked 14bolts, but to my dismay those conversion joints do exist only on smaller applications, like your mentioned 1310to1330.
    If 1310to1350 exists, thanks for the input!

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

One of many (ok all) posts I found stating there are no conversions for the 1410.

No 1410 adapter joints, but it does have 1410 measurements