Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft length Question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backyardbuilt, Jul 28, 2002.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I have stock driveshafts on a 6" lift I am going to 8" I have a 12 bolt That I am replacing with a 14ff will I still need a longer shaft or is the size difference enough to use the stock one! Thanks in advace for all help!!!

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

That is a hard ? to answer. The only way to know for sure is to put it together and see. Most likely you will need a longer shaft and with a short wheel base and that much lift you are better off with a rear cv shaft.

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Good call Wayne, I agree! By the way, nice name, mine too, Middle! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

The 14b ff is about 5/8" longer than than the 12 bolt as far as the driveshaft goes. I swapped my 12 bolt for the 14b and no probs with drive shaft length. I wasn't goin with more lift though. I just stayed with my 4" rancho. By the way....here are the napa part #'s for the conversion U-joint your gonna need. #348 or #447. The 348 is the interal snap ring style, the 447 is the outter c-clip style. I needed the #348. $27 at Napa. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys I was planning on going CV just needed to convince the wife the old one would not work I am also going to go with 1350 joints all the way to the T-case!!