Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft length with NP205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Goose, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I swapping a sm465/np205 in where I have a th400/np208 now. Some rough measuring shows I'll need a longer rear drive shaft and shorter front.

Anybody have a 1 ton (long bed of course) with the sm465/np205 combo that could measure their rear shaft.

Please mearsure from center of yoke to center of yoke.

thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Any chance you've searched the archives? I know I've seen a few posts before with measurements, but would probably take time to find, IF it's out there.

Maybe a good idea to have a post with all stock driveline lengths, probably at installed length? (although I know some drivelines have more movement than others, like my '91 205 front compared to the '74 205 front)

Not trying to hijack per se, but since you've measured yours already.... :)

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well the other thing is I assume you want the measurement of a 1 piece shaft??? what I mean is I have a 2 piece... I have a carrier bearing in the middle.... had to lower it some with my lift...

I too am looking for a rear shaft.... I had the measurement but cant remember off my head... my bud had a 1976 chevy smc465/np205/14bolt compbo and we measured it.. I wanna say 56" but please dont hold me to that... lets see what others say :crazy:

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Hmm, two-piece. Is a two piece the proper application?

If so I may look at going that route.

I'll try the archives also.

thanks

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

my truck came factory with the 2 piece... the only reason why I even kept it is the driveshaft angle.... I dont have a long shaft in a straight line from xfer to axle.. instead I have it coming out of the xfer to the bearing then shoots down.. yeah harder angle but havent gone through universals yet.. and I used to wheel the truck hard...... now it gets wheeled harder :haha:

anyway... I fell that I have more clearance now....so I can deal with the harsher dshaft angles...at times I can takeoff hard at a light and the shaft will wobble in the bearing (surrounded by rubber) and the back wheels will hop.. let off and hammer it and viola!!!!! :wink1: