Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshaft length?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bhintz, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I installed 56s springs in the rear and it pushed my rear axle back about 5-6 inches so now I need to length my driveshaft but instead of doing that I was thinking about just geeting one off a SWB truck, would this work or would it be to short or long? and I can measure my driveshaft now Im about 250miles away so does anybody know how long a stock k5 and a stock SWB K10 truck driveshafts are w/ the 208 tcase

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

how did it push your axle back ? 52 and 56 make axle sit in same exact place,

you drilled center pin hole back further ??

hmm

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

That's odd .... I just replaced my 52's with 56's in my Suburban and the axle is exactly where it was before ..... except now it's a 14bolt.

If the springs are in backwards then that would move it back almost exactly like you describe.:wink1:

If that is what you want the just take your driveshaft to a driveline shop and give them a measurment from the center of the u-joint on the pinion to the center of u-joint or mounting flange or tip of output shaft .... depending on what you have. They should be able to re-tube and balance for under $100 if all your old stuff is good.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I had my old rear driveshaft I'd measure it for you, but I gave it away. (The one from when I had a 700/208).

My rear shaft with the 465/205 is about 52" long IIRC, I think the auto one was ~ 45" or so. Anyone with a stock K5 with a 700/208 or 241 that can tell me what a stock K5 shaft is? 38-40"?????

5. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The springs have off set pin centers so if you install them backwards it pushes the axle back 4" :D

6. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

yep and fliped the echobit backwards

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yep you can use a SWB driveshaft and just shorten it. While you are at it have them weld on a 1350 yoke :)