Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft Length ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77fixer, Mar 13, 2002.

1. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

When building a driveshaft are there enough splines in a stock shaft to accomodate a 6" lift from full compression to full droop. The reason I ask is that I'm getting ready to swap everything from trans to axles (from th350,203,12b,10b to th400,205,14bff,d60). This is my daily driver and I will only have 4 days to perform the swap. I'm trying to determine the length of the shafts I will need beforehand. Does anyone have this combo that could give me some input? I would like to have the shafts built to accomodate the lift even though I am stock now.

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

The only way I know of measuring for driveshafts is to do it once everything is in the truck. That way you get it exact and not just close enough. I think the measurement is from the center of the u-joint cap to the center of the other u-joint cap, but it has been a while since I read up on it. You could probably call a driveline shop and get all the info you need.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You need to measure them after you lift it. If they make them for a 6" lift and you are stock height they will bottom out.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Like they said the only way to do it is after the lift. Even if you find somebody with the same combo there is no garentee it will work on your truck.

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

4 days.....thats quite an endeavor for four days. i just had to put my two sense/cents in.....i have the difference in tranny sizes back on my comp at home, but the t-cas, and diffs i dont know. the length is just a simple geometric function, you'll just need the lengths first.

6. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Why does the lift matter as far as compression is concerned? If I have a 6" lift and bottom out the suspension isn't that the same as bottoming out the stock suspension. As for the lengths I guess I'll just have to get everything in place first. BTW, that's what the driveshaft shop told me also, but I thought I would try. Thanks for your input though.

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

lets say the driveline is 2" longer for a 6" lift, if you try to run your truck with that shaft in there it will bottom out in the tcase since it is longer then stock on a stock truck.