Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft lengthening

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FL84K5, Aug 31, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Whats the going rate to have front and rear shafts lengthend for around 7 inched of lift? thanks

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i had to get my rear done at a machine shop and want to say it about $40.00.

3. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Thats not too bad of a price. Did they also balance it for you?

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

do you think i would need that done for a 4? im guessing it might be just about right with it stock, but some rigs ya just never know....seems eveyrones is a lil different..

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

$40.00 was a hell of a deal. Here in Denver it is $65.00 for labor and $1.00 per inch of tube needed.

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Stalnakers Machine shop does shafts. They dont "balance" They true shafts. Theyve done it for me before it it was smoooth. Theyre doing my shafts when I do my axle swap.

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

In my effort to dig up at least one old thread per week /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif , I thought I would add the info from getting my driveshaft lengthened.

First the setup, 73 Jimmy, 205, 12 bolt, shaft with 2 u-joints and a slip joint (not a CV), 4" rough country springs

The old shaft measured 39.5" compressed and 43" extended. I measured the distance from case to axle and it was 43.5". So I had them extend it by 2.25". That would put the 43.5" at the dead middle of the slip joint. I didn't see a reason to have it offset from the middle unless I have to lower my case in which case the slip joint should compensate.

It cost $120, but that included two new u-joints installed since my old ones were shot. Without those, it would have been just under $100.

It looks great, I can't wait to get it under there (hopefully the weather will cooperate!!).

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

After I put in my 6" lift, I had new drive shafts made. All new everything. I paid around $200.00 per driiveshaft.