Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshaft measurments

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by little79k5, Jun 5, 2002.

1. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

im about to lift my 83 k5 (350/350/208 combo) with a 8" all spring lift. obvious to me i need longer driveshafts, my problem is this is my daily driver and i cant have it apart waiting on shafts for 2 weeks. is there any way to measure for longer shafts before lifting? i thought maybe there was some kinda calculation or something.
    also, can you get a cv shaft for any transfercase/axle combo?
    and would i need one or could i just get mine extended?

thanks
    keith

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I've been able to have a new driveshaft made in 2 hrs or less. Just have it setup ahead of time. Drop the driveshaft off at the shop when you start doing the lift keeping the slip joint at where you're putting the lift in. Then as soon as you have the truck lifted put the slip joint in and meassure the lenght from the slip joint all the way seated center of cross to center of cross and call the meassurement to the driveline shop. that way they can lenghten it while you finish tightening everything up. Do this before you mount the shocks etc. Then they should have it ready by the time you get the rest done. YMMV
    ps: Just be sure to take the meassurement the way the driveline shop wants it done.