Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft phasing??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russ, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know the correct procedure for phasing a 2 piece driveshaft with center bearing? I have decided that my low speed shake in my crewcab dually may be coming from the driveshaft instead of a wheel as I originally thought.

I had replaced all u-joints and center bearing at the same time I put the new tires on it, so may have put the driveshafts back together out of whack. I currently have both fixed yokes on the rear shaft and the fixed yoke on the front shaft all facing the same direction. Is that correct?
    Thanks for any help,

Russ

2. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

here you go

U-joint phase diagram.jpg

3. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

that should be correct- however, I noticed mine has the front shaft phased about 10 splines off the rear two (on the rear half shaft). I am pretty sure that it's never been taken apart so probably came like that. Not sure that makes any difference though since the front one has no angle to it, and a u-joint on only one side, so it should have nothing that needs to be cancelled :confused:

4. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Thanks, the relationship of the front to rear shaft is what I was confused about. I don't know if the front shaft affects the rear shaft since the back end of the front shaft rides in the center bearing.

I may try shimming the center bearing down a little also. I only have about an inch of lift on the truck though and about 8' of driveshafts, so I would not think it would require any shimming.

Is it possible to have the shafts 180 degrees out from each other?

Russ

5. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Need 2 piece rear driveshaft help!

I rotated the rear shaft 180 degrees in relation to the front shaft and it did not make any difference.

To anyone that has the two piece rear drive shaft, can you look at it and see if the fixed yokes on both shafts are in line with each other. If they do not need to be, then I may have to move the rear shaft one spline at a time until I figure out where they are phased together.
    Thanks,

Russ

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The yokes on the shaft from the trans to the carrier bearing don't HAVE to be in phase, but it probably helps the balance of the shaft. The d-shaft that has absolutely got to be in phase is the one from the yoke at the carrier bearing to the axle. I'd actually look around for a weight missing off the d-shaft. If it was out of phase, you would know it immediately

Turning the yoke on the back of the first d-shaft one spline at a time will not make a difference in the phasing of the rear d-shaft. You would have actually had to pull the 2nd d-shaft apart at the slip splines to get it out of phase. If you didn't do anything other than remove the yoke after the carrier bearing and the back shaft didn't get seperated at the slip splines, I'd look for the problem elsewhere. Were there any shims under the carrier bearing? Did you measure your d-shaft angles to make sure they're still in line after the new carrier bearing?

7. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

I did seperate the slip yoke portion of the rear driveshaft when I replaced all of the u-joints and carrier bearing. I marked it with a center punch though and put it back together the same way. I checked it again this afternoon and it is correct. There were not any shims under the old bearing, but I think that will be my next step is to try and shim the bearing down. Both of the u-joints in the rear axle are at about 5 degrees right now. If I shim the bearing down I can probably get them to about 3-4 degrees.
    Thanks for the help,

Russ

8. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anybody else experience this problem?

I have a shake at about 45 mph to 50ish. It also shakes when stopping from above 45. When it is in OD it will shimmy some at about 75-80. I was thinking it was the rear driveshaft but I don't know. The 2nd shaft is about 30 to 45 deg. out of phase with the 1st shaft. I do not know if the splines have ever been pulled apart. The truck has a 6" lift and apparently did this before and after the lift and with this front axle as well as the original. Any help please.:D

9. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anyone? Or does this just sound like both front axles have had problems with the death wobble. I am not sure.