Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshaft problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big75jimmy, Jun 26, 2001.

1. big75jimmy

big75jimmy Registered Member

I just put an 8" Superlift on my 75 GMC Jimmy and the u-joint on the transfercase end of the rear driveshaft binds really bad. I was goingto lower the transfer case and add some angled shims to the rear to help solve this problem. I was also wondering about adding a CV joint to the rear shaft.Would that fix it? Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

2. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

Well your no doubt gonna have a vibration, the driveshaft is so far out of its operating range. I would drop you transfer case an inch, not to much then you'll run into other problems, and most guys who have that much lift on a Blazer style need a CV on the rear, I will need one when I put in my doubler with a 6 inch as it'll be too short then,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

If you put a CV on your rear driveshaft, you will need to rotate your rear axle so the pinion points at the tcase.
    Dropping the tcase will help, but a Blazer has a pretty short rear driveshaft... I really don't have that problem with my long bed pickup.
    Someone on here has a blazer with an 8" susp. lift and should be able to help.
    -- Mike

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well 8" is a good time to look at a CV shaft.... Is the shaft long enough? That will cause problems... The guy I bought my lift kit from has 8" of suspension lift on his Blazer w/ stock style shafts... he used a 2" drop on the tcase... I can give you the number if you wanted to inquire about it... real nice guy at Ken's 4x4 here in MN.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

8" on a K5 is a very large suspension lift. In fact, even for a longbox pickup, that is a lot.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles