Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft Qs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieRed, Feb 7, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I just took my driveshaft to a driveshaft shop to have it shortened. While I was there, I told him to go ahead an put a new rear 1350 seriies yoke on it- about how much do you think these yokes cost, I can't find them on the internet anywhere- I also had him put a "Brute Force" U-joint in- are these any good? If not well, I'm screwed until it breaks. . . Any clue on pressing the U-joint in cost? It was only $40 to have it shortened. I, like an idiot didn't ask how much the yoke was. . .
    Where can i buy the new bolt to bolt in onto the pinion yoke?
    Thanks

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, the Brute Force joints are good...I think most of us agree on that. I run them in my d-shaft, and there was a recent post about them.
    I have no idea about the cost for a 1350 yoke for the driveshaft side. But did a quick search for you and found this place. I'm not saying use them as a place to buy your axle yoke, but that should give you a ball park on that price. You know you'll need a 1350 yoke on the pinion of the axle too. Unless of course you want to run a conversion joint. It shouldn't cost excessive amount of labor at all to "press" in a u-joint. They'll of course charge you labor, but it's nothing a mechanical vise can't do. It's not like you need a hydralic press to do that. I put my u-joints in with a bench-top vise.
    What bolt are you talking about for the pinion yoke? You'll need the straps/u-bolts to go with the 1350 pinion yoke, if that's what you mean.
    Hope that clears some things up for you.

3. BowtieRed

i meant bolts and strap, would they sell them at advance autoparts?

4. BowtieRed

and no, i don't need a new pinion yoke- that's why i got the driveshaft yoke, because i already have the 1350 on the pinion. thanks for the help. and he already had the yoke, so it's too late

5. BowtieRed

ok, i got the straps, but the bolts don't fit, they don't screw in, WTF where can i buy more? i am SO mad /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. BowtieRed

DAMNIT! it started to fit and i thought it was just a little dirty and then i sheard the bolt off in the pinion yoke /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif what do i do now!??!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!? i am so mad right now, i might do something REALLY REALLY STUPID
    what the hell!?!? please, where can i buy new bolts, i'll try and drill out the bolt.

7. BowtieRed

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Okay...okay....breath in, breath out....now put the bat down - hitting your truck will only create more problems.
    Allright, on to the fix: did you get the bolt out yet? A simple extractor should do it....if not, try a high speed extractor like craftman offers, or even sometimes a left hand drill bit will get it out in the process of drilling it out. Also, if you have the yoke off of the pinion, you could go through the backside with a right hand drill bit - the threaded holes go all the way through....just an idea. Now, if you haven't screwed up the threads....go to your auto parts store, they should have the straps and bolts necessary. They'll be able at least to tell you what the size/threading is (i don't know what it is off-hand). Then, clean up whatever threads are boogered with a tap and install your new bolts. Then you'll be good to go. Any more ?'s, just ask. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BowtieRed

i think i might've screwed up the threads, and i will get mad at it tomorrow, i am going to the shop- swallowing the pride, and taking it to the shop. I'll go in FWD /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif they'll either get me a new yoke, or just fix it

no the hole doesn't go all the way through, what are you talking about?

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    what are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]
    The threaded holes on my 10 bolt yoke pass all the way through (ie, take the bolt out and you can see through to the other side) - must not be the same for a 14 bolt or whatever you've got /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. BowtieRed

maybe mine is screwed up- that's more likely. . . oh well, it was only $200 and it works, so still a good deal.