Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Feb 20, 2007.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

I have an 81 k10 sub. I have a 14blt ff to go into the rear and a 10blt "1 ton" for the front. I am lifting it 3" in the front and 4" in the rear. My question is I was going to have my driveshafts lengthened instead of getting new ones, is this a good idea or no? I know of a local shop that will lengthen them for about $60 each. Anybody have any ideas? I will be running 34"x10.5" SS LTBs. I was thinking about going through Tom Woods if I get new ones but I always like saving money. Any input would be great. THANKS

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

10 bolt front and 14FF rear = 3/4 ton running gear. If you swapped in the 14 FF the snout is longer by about 3" so you may not have to do any drive shaft mods when you do your lift. There is noting wrong with retubing a shaft if you need more length.

3. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Let me correct myself, I got the 14blt out of an old 1 ton truck. I had to move the spring perches on the 14blt an inch and I got the 10blt for the 8lug pattern, it came out of a 3/4 ton. If I buy driveshafts I will by bigger ones, with the bigger u-joints, instead of getting a u-joint conversion.

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

your stock shafts will be long enough. in the rear you will need a conversion joint.