Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cityfarmer2, Aug 13, 2002.

1. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

Hey anyone know how long the driveshafts need to be for a six inch lift? Will stock reach how about a 1 ton tranny transfer case will that make up the difference?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> They need to be... a little bit longer than stock. Depends on what tranny and case you are running, and there is no magic answer for any particular combo. These trucks are old and vary alot from one to another. You just have to install the lift and go from there. A "1 ton" tranny/t-case will need adjustment of the length on the shafts also, especially since various combos were used in the 1 ton also (including some of the same combos used in the lighter duty trucks). Both shafts need to be lengthened for a 6" lift 99% of the time. </font color>

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    WHAT???I would lengthen the driveshafts after lifting the truck.The stock units might reach or they might fall out after flexing.A 1 ton t-case would be the same length as a 1/2 or 3/4 ton unit.What are you working on??Mike

4. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Sorry to butt into your thread, but where would one go in San Jose to get the dshafts lengthened &amp; how much would I expect to pay. I should be finished building my truck in a few months &amp; haven't thought that far ahead yet.

5. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

6. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

I guess I miss spoke. What I am wondering is since they must be lengthen how much for a 6 inch lift I am talking total length. I am lucky enough to have a spare set sooooooo if I can have this done before I lift this truck I am a couple of weeks ahead since I live in South Korea. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif Thanks for the link I'll check it out..

7. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

It will vary for each rig. It would be best to have the shope measure the lenth from ear to ear but you can do it and just give them the measurement.