Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft recommendation - 87 crew cab

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by snoman87, Nov 1, 2004.

1. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

I am converting my 87' 2wd crew cab to a 4wd. I have the 4spd tranny and 205 t-case, front (Dana 44) and rear (14BFF) 4.10 diffs and all the springs and hangers. Now I just need to figure out the drive shaft. Would it be better to stay with a 2 peice or build a thick sidewall'd single shaft one?

Thanks

Oh BTW ... I am also going to chop the frame to fit a stock shortbed.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

do you have a fixed out put on the t-case or a slip yoke, that will tell what type of driveshaft you need. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I would make the two piece work. That way you will end up with better clearance on the rear shaft (keep it up high).

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Would it be better to stay with a 2 peice or build a thick sidewall'd single shaft one?

[/ QUOTE ]

A thick walled shaft that long would whip at high speed.

Your only and best option is to make your two piece work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

You will need to go with a carrier bearing style two shaft set up in a 164" wheelbase truck . A single shaft would be way to long ( no matter how thick it is ) and would warp under strain - this is why a two saft set up was used on many applications from the factory .
    Talk to your favorite shaft builder and they will give you guide lines on shaft diameter / tubing thickness / and length rules.
    HTH , Tom