Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshaft slipped out of NP208 tcase output

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FlatBlackBurb, Apr 30, 2007.

1. FlatBlackBurb

FlatBlackBurb 1/2 ton status

okay so we were putting 4'' block in the back of my 1987 chevy suburban. when all of a sudden. BAM! the driveshaft fell on the ground and a lot of transmission fluid came pouring out over the place. check the pics below for visuals. is my driveshaft too short? i didnt even lower it more than it would be with the blocks. i talked to this guy at a local 4x4 shop and he insisited that both of my driveshafts were a fine length for doing a 4'' lift. what do i do? and wheres the fill plug in the transfer case? thank you

the damage:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Xtremegmc80

Xtremegmc80 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah if the driveshaft slipped out. im sure its too short if its not original.. i did a 4 inch lift before and had no problem.. so im sure somethings funny there.. can u put driveshaft back in and take a pic so others can view it n see

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well I see where you say you were installing a 4" block. To install it you have to lower the axle down, well, you may have just lowered it too far and it slipped out, once you get it back in, and set the truck down and the springs sag back to how they were, it'll probably be fine.

4. FlatBlackBurb

yeah the axles slipped about 4'' back towards the rear of the truck too. i wouldnt be suprised if the reason was because were doing it on a slightly sloped surface. wheres the plug hole for the transfer case? and do i use regular transmission oil?

5. Xtremegmc80

Xtremegmc80 1/2 ton status Premium Member

x2.. if the truck is still on the stand.. and axle is lowered.. then yep.. i missed that part.. put it back in and lower the truck n see what happens.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

The fill plug is on the back of the t-case, at the top, you can see it in the 2nd pic you posted, its under the stream of tranny fluid. And yeh, just fill it w/ tranny fluid. Its a large metric, like a 23 or 24mm, but I dont recall the exact size

7. FlatBlackBurb

hey thanks that helps a lot. do you happen to know how much fluid to put inside of it?

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

fill it till fluid runs out of the fill hole, I dont recall how much it takes to fill it from empty, a haynes or chiltons should have that info, mine is in the garage

9. blazerbones

blazerbones 1/2 ton status

Fill it until it is at the level of the fill plug... stop when the fluid starts to drip out slightly. While you're at it, you could swap out the rest of the old fluid... the drain plug is at the bottom of the case... same size as the fill plug I think.

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

the fill/drain plug is 1 3/16" its a bastard size. i could only really find it locally at sears.

11. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

yeah i used a cresent wrench on it. i just filled mine i *believe* it was somewhere around 1gallon and 2 quarts...ish. lol

12. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Really? Mine was somewhere around 4.5-5 quarts...

And yes any kind of tranny fluid will do ;)

13. FlatBlackBurb

:bow: haha i knew it was some unheard of size that people dont use ever. i went over to my neighbors at 9 and borrowed a 1 1/4 and 1 1/16 and 1/8 and none of them worked im was pissed. :mad: well thanks for the info dude im gonna go to osh tomorrow and buy a socket.

but well the lift is on, the driveshaft is back in the tcase and it fits (pics will be added as soon as my camera decides to work again) all 4 tires are on the ground now but theres no way i'm gonna drive it as is right now. i think i should only have to use a quart or two of oil because it only leaked from the output of the tcase not the bottom. thanks for the help guys!

let's see what tomorrow brings. ill keep u posted
    [​IMG]

14. FlatBlackBurb

heres a pic of the finished rig: time to stick that 2'' body lift and those 36'' boggers on there!

[​IMG]

heres a pic of the driveshaft that i stuck back in:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

theres the pic of the front driveshaft held up by zipties. (it rests on the exhaust otherwise).

15. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Yeah you dont need 4wheel drive anyways. Dude I probably have a 23 or 24 mm socket I could birng by on my way to work

16. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Hey guys just walked out in the garage, the actual size is 30mm, thats the only reason I have that dang socket lol.

17. FlatBlackBurb

okay that thing is NOT coming off... with the stupid 1 3/16 socket. i even tried a crescent wrench on it and it didnt budge. it just (believe it or not) messed up the wrench. any sly tips on how to get this thing out

18. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

idk it was like a 3/4 full gallon jug adn then 2quarts. so yeha about that. lol

JUST cut it off...lol. idk

19. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Put a pipe on the end of your socket wrench to give yourself more leverage.