Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft Spacer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Smitty, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I put a 4" lift in my truck and need to do something about my front driveshaft. I've heard about 1" spacers for the front shafts but have never actually seen one. Are these a good solution for making the front shaft longer? Any down side? Also, where would I get one?

2. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

Got mine from Rocky Mountain Suspension. It is 1" thick. I am running 8" sup. and have had no trouble out of mine. I really don't think that you need one with only 4" sup. but if you are binding you can always take your shaft out and /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif the ears off.

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Had to do this to mine with a 6". Not that hard. Hardest part was pulling the drive shaft. I ground a little more than I needed, I think, but works great now.

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I'm not having a problem with any binding (but then I haven't driven it yet). I'm looking at the splines in the slip-joint and they are right at the edge of the seal. Just figure it would be better to have the splines closer to the center of the slip-joint.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're going to need to grind. Probably not as bad as I did with the 4 speed when I had a stock shaft, but even when I had a 700R4, my CV would click from binding.

Binding has the capability to be very destructive to your u joints very quickly, so I would make sure you grind that CV when you have it out again.

Getting a stock shaft from a 700R4/NP 208 truck might be an idea too--they're slightly longer because the transmission itself is longer and that might give you the added length that you need.

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Forgot to add that this is for a 203 to D44. Will the shaft from a 208 work on a 203?