Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshaft spline lenght

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DERBINATOR, Apr 1, 2005.

1. DERBINATOR

DERBINATOR 1/2 ton status

I just installed a front dana 60 in a 76 chevy. I have a 4" lift and a 203 t-case. I put the driveshaft back on and I only have maybe 3/4" of travel before it is fully compressed. This doesn't seem like much or is it OK. I suppose it is somewhat vehicle specific but is there a number to shoot for?

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well this is what you can do....

take the front shaft out... go flex the most the truck will.. and try and put the shaft in.... thus showing if it is ok....
    if it does bottom out.. you dont want the driveshaft going through your t-case :crazy:

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3/4" is not enough
    You will more than likely bottom out the shaft, and if that happens you will either break the case or the adapter (neither are cheap or fun to fix). Find a shorter shaft that will work or get that one shortened. The good thing is that it's cheaper to get a shaft circumcized than to add length to it :blush:

4. DERBINATOR

DERBINATOR 1/2 ton status

So if I shorten it, how much should I go. At ride hieght do you want to be in the middle of the spline travel or ????

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you don't mind the extra height, you could use a set of zero rates to move the axle forward. This would give you more clearance and solve your length problem. Would kinda be tackling it backasswards but if it works it works.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Just run Rough Country springs :grin:

Measure from the top of the spring packs to the bumpstops. That is how much uptravel you might get if you jump the truck or something. Then simple high school geometry will let you figure out how short the shaft could get.

As a general rule of thumb, yes, you want to be in the middle of travel at static ride height, but you might have more droop than stuff or vice versa.