Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft stuff

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by elacruze, Dec 23, 2003.

1. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

I intend to put a doubler in my 85 K35 TH400/205 with D60 front and 14b rear. I don't have a lift, but the truck's pretty high-should I consider a CV driveshaft for the rear, since I have to make new anyway? This truck will see regular freeway service with 4:10s and a heavy trailer. How do CV shafts hold up to high speed & heavy loads?

Thanks ahead

Eric

2. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

After having a look around under the truck, it appears that if I change the slip yoke to a fixed yoke output on the rear shaft, that the joint-to-joint distance after installing the doubler will remain nearly the same length, and approximately the same angle. That coupled with a longer front shaft sounds like a good thing.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I usually recommend using the simplest driveshaft you can get away with and if you're still around stock height, I'd go with some 1350's in a stock type (2 joint) driveshaft. As you say, it shouldn't be a lot different than what you have already.

4. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

Looking at my rear shaft, it appears that the transfer case and rear axle input are parallel and the angle at front and rear joint equal. Should I leave them this way, or improve the angle of the rear axle joint? Will the phase change be a problem without a CV front joint?

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Definitely leave the angles equal, that's what makes your shaft run smooth, so you don't want to mess that up. I'm not sure how the phasing works with a CV joint but you shouldn't really have to worry about it, it'll be built into the shaft, or in your case, with a 2 joint shaft, it's not a problem.