Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshaft (swap or new?)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Sep 17, 2001.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I am really out of luck lately everythign has been goign south since i bought my blazer...the guy who had it before me just liked to mud it or something...in the past 2months i have changed the throwout bearing, changed all the fluids, changed teh wheel bearings, rebuilt the transfer case and multiple other things...I have done all of this myself...now that I am about broke til the next few pay checks my drive shaft decides to get all F$%@#$ up so i need either a new one or one from a junkyard if it will work? I guess i can only rob one off a blazer and not a shortbed? I seem to remember measuring the one on my shortbed and it being a few inches longer....

So should I go look for one in a junk yard and trust that it wont give me problems or order a new one?

How much should I expect to spend on a new one?

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

if you can find one that will fit at at wreckin yard... clean it up good and have the ballance checked... or you might have yours re tubed... about 130 to do that...

3. BowtieBlazer

I believe its the yoke thats bad because it vibrates the living hell out of the truck at highway speeds....
    Dont ever try to beat out u-joints yourself without proper equipment!!
    I tried the BFH and a socket and this is what i got

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

A new driveshaft would probably be a good idea. A 1/2 ton shaft won't be all that expensive. It will come well balanced and won;t vibrate at all even in 2wd at 80 on the freeway.
    I had a driveshaft that was unbalanced fly off my truck. Literally. Not cool.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

There is a company in Colorado Springs that can build you one for around $120.00 called Drive Line Services. I had one built for a '79 blazer about 6 years ago and it cost me $96.00 using my ends, that included balancing. I am just guessing on the price but that should be close. (inflation you know) Anyway, that's my story.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

6. BowtieBlazer

Sounds good...a buddy with a Ford told me it would cost about 250-350 for a new one...I guess thats a new one for his bronco(being that ford changed parts every day)...I was just worried about coughing up atleast 200+ i can reason and sufice 100 for a better ride... Thanks all

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

7. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I had one made for my 74 Blazer two summer's ago and it cost me around $250 for a new one.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>

8. BowtieBlazer

and thats why i think i will go the junk yard route....

Zepplin is that with a rear slip yoke option?

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed