Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft swap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TB2Blazer, Dec 12, 2002.

1. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 1985 chevy K5 blazer with a six inch lift and it is in desperate need of a rear driveshaft. My question is this will a rear driveshaft from a 1985 GMC sierra short bed fit in my blazer, or how long are the driveshafts for these trucks from tip to tip? ANy info would be greatly appreciated.

2. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but your just have to measure how long you need it to be & go from there. With all the differences in t-case, suspension, axles, if someone told you the exact length to look for you would just end up mad at them when it didn't fit.

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

It has many factors to it. What transmissions are cases are you and donor running ? if you have an auto and the donor has a manual, there is no way it will swap, the manual is too short making the shaft too long.
    I'm not sure the difference between the two shaft lengths if they have the same case combos.
    BUT, when i had my shaft made for my 6 inch lift...it only needed to be about 1.5 inchs longer. That doesn't seem like much but thats all it needed. I use the old " a squared plus b squared equals c squared " theorm and that's how it worked out.
    My old shaft was still able to function though, to turn the truck around in the driveway but the slip yoke was out to high heaven.
    Blake

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Instead of "tip to tip", driveshafts are measured from center of yokes (center of the u-joint.)

The local drive shop told me to measure from the ujoint bolt hole to the trans case output shaft. From there they could determine the correct length.

Also, from the center of the yoke (center of the u-joint) to the end of the trans output shaft should be 3 inches (I think.)

Please note that I am passing on this info. It was told to me by the local shop and could very well be wrong.