Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft too short w/14bff swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gone huntin, Apr 22, 2005.

1. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I installed my 14bff today expecting it to compensate for the 1" the 4" lift caused the driveshaft to pull out of the transfer case. Well, wrong, the yoke is now 2" out of the transfer case over what it was stock. Why did this happen? I still have about 4" still in the housing (241) I don't wheel this 'burb, but I do tow with it, should I have a new shaft made?

2. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, I was wrong,there is only 2 1/2" in the transfer case now. I just hate to spend $200 on a driveshaft.

3. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Why don't you just have it lengthen or buy mine. I have the rear shaft out of my 90 burb when it had 8" lift. You would probably need to shorten the driveshaft. It was connected to a 465/241 and 14ff. Shipping would probably kill the deal unless you want to pick it up. I sometimes go to Gulfport so that might be 1/2 way. PM me if you are interested.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I didn't get mine lengthened, i wheel mine all the time, flex it out pretty good as well, never had an issue with the driveshaft coming out.

to add: it's the same setup you have, mine's an '89