Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft Travel Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, May 3, 2004.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Soon I will be putting in my slip yoke eliminator kit and having a custom rear shaft made. I found a shop that is not too terribly far away, and I like the idea of keeping things local. The guy who I spoke with on the phone said that 4" of total travel (2 in either direction) ought to be more than sufficient for my truck. What do you all think? What is the stock travel? My Blazer is a '90, with a 14FF rear and 4" of lift. In the summer, I go wheeling about 2-3x per month - mostly trail riding with some small-medium sized rocks, some mud, some hills, etc. I'd like to do more of the rocks & technical stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I recently scoured junkyards for a driveshaft and found that 2" of total travel is pretty typical. I was looking into having one built and they were only able to offer up to 3". 4" is generally considered long slip and should be plenty. Do some simple geometry calculations and it will tell you how much slip you need. First you need to know maximum stuff and droop of the pumkin.