Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft with CV joint

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thedrip, Nov 5, 2004.

1. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I know its a little 'light' for the center of gravity forum, but the people in here are the most likely to know.

In a CV joint as part of a driveshaft, I found a connector (ball & socket) between the two parts of the driveshaft. Its inside of the CV assembly, and seems to equalize the angle of the two ujoints. Is this ball & socket nessecary for the proper operation of the CV joint.

I'm looking into building a driveshaft with a CV, so I need to know if I need to integrate the yokes with this ball & socket cast into them, or if I can just use standard yokes on each end of the CV, and the "coupler", and have it all work right.

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The ball and socket are what makes a CV work the way it does. Without it you would just have a triple u-joint driveshaft and that would whip aroun like crazy.

3. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Thats what I thought when I took one apart last night, first time I've torn a CV down. Thanks for verifying that for me.