Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft worn out?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, Jul 21, 2002.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I am getting a lound bang when putting the TH350/203 in reverse so I changed a U-joint that had just a hint of slop.

I didn't fix the problem so I'm thinking it is my drive shaft. The slip yoke and drive shaft can be moved up and down where they meet. I took it a part but I couldn't tell if the teeth on the drive shaft were worn or not and I couldn't see much on the yoke but there is a pretty good amount of movement.

If that is my problem ,Is the drive shaft shot? How much for a new yoke and what would it cost to have the splines replaced on the driveshaft?

2. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Youve got to take the driveshaft apart at the weld and discard the whole slip joint and buy a bew slip joint and reweld it to the tube.Not sure on the price to have it done but i was quated 150.00 for just the yoke and slip shaft....

3. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Wholy crap that is a lot. I' check around here and see what prices I can get on a rebuild along with having a driveline shop look at it.

Thanks.

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Is your shaft stock? You might be able to just go to a junkyard and find a driveshaft with the yoke still on it for cheap.

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    WOW!!!! I just looked at the pictures of your truck, and that thing is nice... good lookin' truck man!

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

The first thing that comes to mind is the ring and pinion. I have gotten the noise you described from my truck before I changed the rear end. It was wore out and there was alot of slop in the gears, so you would get this noise when putting the truck into gear. Just a thought, it might be something else you want to check out.

7. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the compliment. The truck is a little more beat up now. I managed to scratch the passenger side 4 days after I finished it.

I do have a stock drive shaft. Looking in a junk yard is a good idea. Thanks.