Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshaft yoke won't slide

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mo, Apr 24, 2007.

1. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

I have to beat my yoke with a sledge to get it to slide. Trying to put my axle back in and this is the worst part of the whole job. It's a HAD shaft and I feel like I'm gonna screw up my output shaft bearing or the retainer on the t-case i got smack this damn thing so hard. any idea on whats goin on? is it hydrolocked in there or something like that??

Also, how much of the splines can be visible and still considered safe? I am trying to move the axle back an inch, but i can see about 1/2" of spline...

thanks!

2. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

I just had this same problem about 3 weeks ago. I pulled my DS out and put it in a vise. then I soaked it in penetrating oil overnight. Then I tapped it off with a hammer. the grease inside dried up and it would not budge, otherwise.

After cleaning it up and re-greasing it works perfect again.

you can also see how much spline length you have when you it pulled apart. not sure how much is slip you need with your set up but I think 4-5 inches is sufficient for most