Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DriveshaftBlues...cont'd

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83K5NYC, Jun 1, 2000.

1. 83K5NYC

83K5NYC Registered Member

DriveshaftBlues...cont\'d

Still trying to get more input on my driveshaft problems...
    I have a 4" lift (blocks) on my 83 K5. Every 1000 miles or so I get a bad vibration, and eventualy my u-joints or yoke fails. Last Sunday, I lost my whole shaft on the highway at 80mph.
    I was told by Demon (?) that my angle wasn't correct, that the U angles had to be within 1 degree of each other.
    But how do I correct the angles? Do I need a longer shaft? Is there one I can buy off the shelf with larger U joints without going for an expensive custom job (I saw one for $375-OUCH!)?
    Can anyone give me a manufacturer's name or #?
    Or better yet, does anyone have one FOR SALE??
    HELP!!! Please!
    My beautiful K5 is down for the count!!

Thanks Much!
    Stuart...

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Re: DriveshaftBlues...cont\'d

You can correct the angles two ways. Lower the t-case and shim the axle. If you have blocks then they are already tapered to keep the angles close to factory. It is not really recommended to use shims and blocks (read UNSTABLE). You probably need to lower the t-case. This can be done with spacers. The good thing is that you should already have some. The bolts holding up the crossmember for the t-case are pretty long and there is a spacer used to make up the space on the bolt. Just un-bolt them and but the spacers in-between the crossmember and the frame. That should help out alot. A longer shaft could help out too.

BIGJ

3. 83K5NYC

83K5NYC Registered Member

Thanks BigJ!
    I talked to Tom Woods, and he helped out alot. Right now I'm torn between lowering the Tcaseand picking up an old 'shaft from the boneyard; or having Tom build me a CV shaft to spec; bottom line is: I want this to be a permananet solution.
    Any more input is GREATLY appreciated.
    St-

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Could someone explain lowering the t-case. I spent some time under her lately and I just dont get it. As far as I can see the t-case's connected to the transmission and the transmission's connected to the engine...right?. Do you angle the complete driveline? Lift the front enginemounts?. I must be missing something, please explain.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

When you lower the trans case, you tilt the entire engine,trans and transfer case assembly. usually not a problem if not tilted more than an inch or so. I did this on a blazer I had and it stopped my rear drive shaft vib. but the front shaft is now at a bad angle. I also didn't pay attention to my distributor. It was now an inch away from the firewall. one day, out 4wheelin. the body flexed(weak body mounts) and broke the distributor cap! the best fix is to put a c.v. joint in thr rear shaft. better working angles.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

If you say you want a permanent solution, I would definitely go with a Tom Woods driveshaft. Tom is awesome, just ask Depdog. He built me a stock replacement driveshaft for my 89 Blazer with 1350 u-joints including the yoke for the rear axle for less than half the price the local GM dealer wanted for a stock 1310 jointed 1/2 ton shaft!

Good Luck
    Brian