Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshafts At Horrible Angle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88 jimmychanga, Jan 31, 2004.

1. 88 jimmychanga

88 jimmychanga Registered Member

OK, suspension is really not my forte, probably how I got myself into this mess in the first place. My drive shafts are at horride angles, pretty severe. I don't take it into anything too serious b/c of that, but what's the fun in owning a Jimmy if you can't test it at 100%, right? Anyways, how do I go about getting the drive shaft straightened out? Lengthen the shafts? Any help will be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

How bout wedge blocks?

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

You can get shims for the axels, drop the transfer case a little will give some for the rear. Might consider a rear shaft with a cardon joint(dual u-joints like the front shaft)

4. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

every rig acts a bit different. with 6 inches of lift, you are going to have to make some type of driveline adjustment. do you have drive line vibration at this time - i would think so. although a bit pricey, i went with a cv driveshaft (as bablazer73 stated) and corrected the pinion angle. mine rides better than it did stock.

5. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I got my drive shafts lengthend and had a CV kit installed on the rear shaft at Sacramento Driveline Service.
    This might help Drive-Line Service

[​IMG]
    Bill

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can get shims for the axels, drop the transfer case a little will give some for the rear. Might consider a rear shaft with a cardon joint(dual u-joints like the front shaft)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah what he said ^ /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. 88 jimmychanga

88 jimmychanga Registered Member

I'll try to get some pics up of what I'm talking about. Thanks to all for the help.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

If you havent dropped you t case yet, there should be some factory 1"(?) spacers on top of the frame rail, where the bolts for the tcase crossmember bolts up. If you have there are little shims, wedges, only a couple bucks that you can get that rotate the front of your diff up at the tcase and will help w/ the vibrations a bit. Probably have to end up w/ shaft lengthened.

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

and you thought you had shaft problems...

10. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

and you thought you had shaft problems...

[/ QUOTE ]

dear god

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ive seen that pic before, but just noticed the clear tube on the right. Is that a fuel filter the line goes in to?! Least hes worried about gettin water in his diff when he goes off the trailer.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    ive seen that pic before, but just noticed the clear tube on the right. Is that a fuel filter the line goes in to?! Least hes worried about gettin water in his diff when he goes off the trailer.

[/ QUOTE ]That is a "must" need part for when he is trying to get it loaded back in the trailer as it starts to rain.. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

A gas line filter wouldn't be wort a crap as a vent, would it?