Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshafts-Lifting

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ragbagger, Jul 15, 2000.

1. Ragbagger

Ragbagger Newbie

Do I need to lenghten the drive shafts on our 77 Blazer with a 4 inch Lift? My son and I are doing this project and we are new to this. It has been a great experience for us.

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

four inches- nope, no drive shaft mods required. you might want to lower the transfer case though, that will supposedly eliminate any vibes you might on a four inch lift. any higher lift and you would need new shafts.

someone else should probably tell you about the t case lowering, i'll end up telling you something wrong and i dont want you to mess up your truck on account of my bad directions. [​IMG]
    just start a new thread about tcase lowering.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

With a 4" lift you might need a new driveshaft, I did. It wasn't even close. It depends on the condition of your old shaft, the brand of springs, and the type of wheeling you do. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Lowering the t-case has been covered quite a bit on this board. Do a search, you should find lots of info.

BIGJ

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Its almost impossible to answer with confidence. Every truck is unique and different. Some trucks with a 2.5 inch lift will need a longer shaft while another of the same kind might be fine after a 4 inch lift. Just lift it and see. If there are splines sticking out of the slip yokes when you have your axles drooped down, its time for a trip to the driveshaft shop.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad