Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshafts too short?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ascuro, Oct 18, 2005.

1. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

I just finished up installing a set of 6 inch springs on my 70 blazer, and I can see the very tops of the driveshaft splines, on both the front and rear shafts. It seems to run fine, but am I pushing my luck with the shafts like that, or should they be ok? They're stock shafts as far as I can tell.

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

What kind of trans and transfer case are you running?

3. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

I've got a 350 and an NP205. Stock 44 up front, and 10-bolt out back too. I am planning on an axle-swap, but that's much further down the line (cash and wife-permitting =)

I'm pretty sure they're not trail-worthy as is, mostly wondering if there's some particular point where they'd be unsafe on the street/minor dirt for now.

4. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

I usually hear after a 6" lift you are also looking at longer drive shafts. I guess you could get away with it but most people will say that 4" of lift is about the most you will get out of your stock driveshafts.

5. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Had to lengthen my front 2.5",the rear had to be made anyway with tranny transfer swap.