Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshafts w/4" lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Jul 30, 2000.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Driveshafts w/4\" lift

Okay, I just got my lift installed today. Its a 4" skyjacker with 33" Goodyear MTRs. The k5 looks great. I am a little worried about the front driveshaft though, its about 1/4 of an inch above the crossover pipe of the exhaust. Is this going to be a problem? Thats pretty close. Another thing, the t case was supposedly lowered, but it looks the same to me. How do you tell if its been lowered? Last thing, how do you tell if you should get longer driveshafts? Looking at it you can tell the slip yokes are pulled out farther. How much does it cost to lengthin your driveshafts? Sorry about all the questions, thanks for the help.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker kit,33x12.5 goodyear mtr, 15x10 bajas

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Re: Driveshafts w/4\" lift

Wassup?I have a 2.5inch Procomp lift with 33's I went through about 4 U-Joints in the rear ,so I dropped the transfer case about an inch put new U-Joints in.It solved the problem for about a month...took it to a driveline place and they said that my rear driveline was about an inch and a half too short ,so I had a new one made since then no problems it cost about $250 bucks for a custom one made....I had all this done about 4 months ago! so far it solved the problem... hope this helps....later

3. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

You can tell if your xfer case has been lowered by looking at the bolts that hold the cross member to the frame.
    There will be spacers between the cross memeber and the frame. If the cross memeber is flush against the frame, it has not been lowered.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

4. MuleMaster

MuleMaster 1/2 ton status

When I was installing my 4" lift, I had my rear driveshaft lengthend. Costed me some $180 (labour is more expensive in my country, should be cheaper in the US). If You are going for lengthening, don't forget to have the shaft balanced!
    CU
    MuleMaster

<font color=blue>K5 Blazer...because size DOES matter
    http://projectmule.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

OK, the transfer case was not lowered, so I think I will just go to a local driveshaft place and have them lengthin the shafts. I'm still not sure if I should worry about the front driveshaft hitting the exhaust. Thanks.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker kit,33x12.5 goodyear mtr, and 15x10 bajas ordered!

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Hello again......I forgot another thing to tell you before I put on the 2.5inch lift,I got new exhaust put on, the front driveshaft has come in contact from extreme flex,and bent the crossover exhaust tube a little bit!! In the near future I will be running headers and redo the exhaust all over!! later

7. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I had a probem with my front driveshaft too. I needed a new header gasket, I took off the header, but couldn't get it back on. The 4' lift pulled the exhaust up against the shaft. I ended up taking the driveshaft off, installing the header, then installed a shim in the front leafs. Now it has plenty of clearance.

8. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

i have a 4" susp. lift, had the t-case lowered....no vibration...shaft is fine, u joints are fine, mine's an 84 also

9. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Same prob over here, balance tube hitting driveshaft at full flex.
    Solution: Listen, listen, FLEXIBLE BALANCE TUBE !!!

Balou
    "Size DOES matter!!!", said the girl last night.
    http://www.balou.coloradok5.com

10. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Is there a good way to solve the front driveshaft/exhaust clearance problem?

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MTR, 15x10 Bajas

11. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

if you are going to spend the money on a longer rear driveshaft, then just go ahead and spend another $50.00 and get a cv joint installed in the shaft. You will need the exhaust modified to clear the driveshaft.

12. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I put shims in the front springs. Clearance is fine now.