Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshafts - Well Poop On That!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Resurrection_Joe, May 3, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Man driveshafts are expensive!

I figure simple 2 joint normal slip, pretty cheap!

PHBBT WRONG!

I just hung up with HAD and Tom Woods, great phone support, but rather high price

Gonna try a few more famous ones.....

Anyone know a local shop that's good and will ship?

EDIT - Called "Arizona Driveline", about $100 cheaper, but the phone service was, well, not bad, but completely insane and talking really fast

On to the next

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

AZ Drivelines, GloeCo, or whatever name Oscar is using at the time is not a place I would use. I personally know of 2 different shafts where he flat out lied and charged for things that were requested, but not delivered. One was a CV locating pin that was billed as "machined out and pressed in new" when it was reall "clean up with a grinder and shove it back together". Another was supposed to be 0.125 tubing, but after twisting it in two months later, it was found to be 0.092(?). Moral of the story is, if it's not clearly visible and easy to discern when you pick it up, he may decide you don't really need it and charge you for it anway. I've also seen his shafts where a great deal of the yoke weld was not even touching both pieces of metal, you could clearly see the gap! These are things *I have seen*. On hear say, there are many other problems including charging for u-joints when the old ones were cleaned and reused, multiple wrong size of tubing, etc... I also did not appreciate his arrogant tone the one time I talked to him (long ago, before I saw the other stuff) where he was telling me I didn't know what I needed, but he did... I'm glad he pissed me off, otherwise, I might have his junk...

Some report having had good luck with his shafts, but I wouldn't give him the time of day...

3. Resurrection_Joe

Yeah I have heard bad things about them..... I won't use them now

Called this place - http://www.thrashdriveshaft.com/

It was fairly cheap, going to run about $275 shipped, and the guy was hilarious, becuase he kept asking for wierd things, I think to keep track of me, plus there was hammering in the background, gotta love that?

So anyone know any other shops? I called my local and they didn;t know jack, said $750, then said they could weld a new yoke on mine for $50 but didn;'t have the yoke and diodn't know what 1350 meant

Looks like I'm going to be spending $300 or so at Tom Woods shipped.... damn it...... conversion joint is looking really good right now

4. Resurrection_Joe

Gonna call this place tomorrow

(http://www.mountaindriveline.com/index.html)

and any other places you guys can recommend..... I'm sick of talking to shaft boys.....

Anyway, if you guys now any shops that will make me a 2 joint 1350 shaft for about $225 and ship it to me, lemme know, otherwise it's Woods or thise guys if they sound competent

Blegh..........

Anyone have a stock rear shaft for a one tone truck with a fixed yoke 205 and th400? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Another was supposed to be 0.125 tubing, but after twisting it in two months later, it was found to be 0.092

[/ QUOTE ]

The exact same thing happened to a friend of mine that bought a custom-made cardan joint drive shaft from AZ Driveline, but he did not even make it out of his driveway with it. He is still in the middle of trying to get his money back.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have heard some good and bad about them. I wanted to call Jesse and get one of his shafts, but I also needed my truck to drive to work asap . So I actually had AZdrivelines make my CV shaft since I could get it same day ( said he was busy but would make mine asap ). I am praying after reading this that it will hold up for me. I grease mine now periodically and so far so good. Of course the hardest thing it has seen has been Raw Deal this last weekend, and I am temporarily torque challenged (305). I am hoping they just had a bad day when they talked to you and my shaft will hold up. Maybe someday I will win one of Jesses , or pony up for one his "good" ones. Oh well , live and learn /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can easily ge the "shaft" when you are having custom shafts built. Mine were $400 for both and I didn't have a CV or anything installed. Just 1350 joints, 4" tubing, and a new slip yoke for the rear. New joints, retubing, and a new slip for the front. It adds up quick. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. offroad87

offroad87 Registered Member

i just ordered one for a buddies truck from AZ driveline steve is the guy who took my order, he seemed pretty helpful and the shaft looks and works great. i was actually about to order one for my k5 from him this week . now yall got me thinkin. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Good luck with it, I hope it works out. Rob runs his shafts and likes him, so maybe it will work out...

And it's not just about how he talked to me. If that was all, I would not be so hard on him. I'm sure he has to deal with clueless folks all the time, and like you say, maybe a bad day too. What has him on my shizit-list is the quality of work (or rather total lack of quality) that I've personally seen on MOST of his shafts. That and the outright lies, and refusing to stand behind his products EVEN when you have a receipt for the alleged work/material and his shaft in hand to prove it was not done. From what I've *heard* (I’ll admit when it’s “hear-say”) he will flat out accuse you to your face of "sabotage" or "swapping parts" and expecting him to eat it. A guy went back about the "new u-joint" he was charged with, and Oscar told him the joint WAS replaced. Claimed the guy must have swapped in a different one since he would NEVER reuse an old one while charging for a new one. On another shaft with thin wall where thick wall was requested and charged, I’m told he refused to make it up because the shaft was severely damaged before bringing it back when it twisted in two. And how may I ask are you to know he screwed you on tubing until it breaks so you can measure it? Yet another of the local guys had one of Oscar’s “thick wall” shafts that was not, and he twisted it in two as well, but I don’t know if he ever went back on Oscar with it… And the list goes on…

That is total BS any way you slice it, assuming the stories are true, but you know how that goes... Still, from what I have seen with my own two eyes I will do my best to steer people away from him…

10. Resurrection_Joe

Rjf, where did you get yours built? Do you remeber what the rear cost, that's all I really want, just what you had but longer...

$400 doesn't sound bad for two shafts when some places want that for one

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Dont go to Arizona. they flat out lied to me, ripped me off, and was about as helpful as a kick in the crotch.

The drivelines are good ones and I still have them, for light duty ones when I ordered heavy duty ones. The warrenty and service is what is horrible. Since I'm only running 4" of lift in the back, I might go back to a stock setup (non cvc) and convert the rear to a spare front untill they both gerade yet again. Then I'm going to pony up for a front from somebody else.

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Rjf, where did you get yours built? Do you remeber what the rear cost, that's all I really want, just what you had but longer...

$400 doesn't sound bad for two shafts when some places want that for one

[/ QUOTE ]I think it was around $250 for the rear and 150 something for the front. Very good quality, spicer slip yoke, thick tubing(not sure on numbers), 2 1350 neapco u-joints.

They were built by (). here in Modesto, Ca. Same guys that did the machine work on my 406 SBC.

***deleted***

Don't say I never did anything for ya' Joe. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    [​IMG]

13. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Im not sure what you need but I got my rear d shaft from HAD and was VERY satisfied. .134 wall, 3" tube 39.5" long, 1350 yokes, solid, non greaseable Spicer u-joints (non CV) was $309.00 plus $18.00 shipping. It took Jesse 5 days total to make it and ship it to my door, this includes the weekend. I'd think again about HAD /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you have to even ask about the price, you don't need to be running Jesse's CVs anyway. I told him to build the shaft, then asked for the price. I couldn't be more pleased, and I personally think it would have been a bargin at twice the price.

In the rear I had a local shop make me a 1350 shaft, and it was really cheap.

15. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Dont be a dick Tim. You could just leave it at "HAD has great product" and called it a day. No need to make it personal.

STOOPID.

-Dan

16. Resurrection_Joe

I think I am probably going with a HAD front shaft, I've had a rear one made by them for a while, and it's a nice unit

[ QUOTE ]
    If you have to even ask about the price, you don't need to be running Jesse's CVs anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Price has nothing to to do with need or capabilty, its incidental

That being said I'll probably end up buying from HAD or Woods, unless of course RJF's connection works out

I'm not going to pay around $400 for a HAD rear shaft when I can get basically the same thing for a lot less. No one has ever said HAD's shafts are crap, but no one has ever said they were cheap, and if it comes between:

Spending a lot more for a slightly better shaft

OR

A cage

I'm taking a cage......

RJF, if I can get a shaft from the guy, you want to take my money and give it to him? I'll include something nice and shiney as a kicker! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

17. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    i just ordered one for a buddies truck from AZ driveline steve is the guy who took my order, he seemed pretty helpful and the shaft looks and works great. I was actually about to order one for my k5 from him this week . now yall got me thinkin. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably talked to steve, steve is a great guy to deal with and will take his time with you. I agree with alot of things Russ said in his post above. I am good friends with Brian, "his grandfather started the business" And alot of people dont agree with how Oscar runs the place. He is very interested in lining his own pockets. Azdriveline "can" do great work. However Oscar seems to have the "it's good enough attitude"

I will shop there and continue too, I have not have any issues with my High angle cv's I got from them, I also went with larger tubing. I have redone them already but anybody who knows how I drive would exspect that.... The drive shafts hold up fine to big block neutral drops all day long. That is more than I could ever have hoped for. As for doing business, be very specific and emanding and deal with steve if possable, he is a great guy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for Brian, he does differentials out of a shop in the back and dosn't do the drive shaft part of the business, I just hope that when it is turned over to him in a few years that there is still a name to the business. Brian likes quality work /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

-Shawn

so overall, yes they can do great work, just deal with steve and be very specific, direct and demanding /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Dont be a dick Tim. You could just leave it at "HAD has great product" and called it a day. No need to make it personal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not personal. Just, if you're trying to save money, a HAD is not for you. There are other routes to go if you want to try to do it cheaper, as mentioned above.

Cheap route:
    Start with a shaft that is too long.

Stock saginaw CV, clearance it and install non-greasable joints

Replace the slip yoke with a 1350 or 1410 if you need the angle and install non greasable joints

That will net a poor man's HAD that will cost you about $250 and the only weak spot is the Saginaw CV which is basically 1330.

For the rear, take a stock 3/4 ton shaft, have it shortened to fit your wheelbase and install a 1350 yoke on the back of your transfer case.

IF you build two shafts just like that, you'll have some pretty strong stuff, AND you can build TWO shafts for the price of ONE of Jesse's HADs.

That said I have a HAD up front because the angle is insane and there was really no other way to deal with it.

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    RJF, if I can get a shaft from the guy, you want to take my money and give it to him? I'll include something nice and shiney as a kicker! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why do you need to give me the money? You probably can pay with a credit card over the phone. I doubt Chuck will have a prob shipping a shaft. Real nice guy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I brought my front shaft to him on a Thursday afternoon and figured out what to build for the rear. I picked both shafts up the next afternoon. (yes, I drove around for 1 day with no front shaft. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)

And just my luck my buddy calls me that Thurday evening because he got his bone stock Bronco stuck in a mud hole. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Went out there and slid around in 2wd but I still ripped his ass out of that mud hole and climbed the slimmy hill that he couldn't make up in 4wd, blazers rule and broncos drewl. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif---sorry for the stupid story. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

20. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey Joe
    LEt me know what length ya need i might be able to hlep ya
    R
    Pm or email me is best