Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshafts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by billys blazer, Jan 6, 2005.

1. billys blazer

billys blazer Newbie

I have a 89 blazer with a 6" lift. i recently got a tom woods driveshaft high angle with the cv joint a $550 shaft. within 3 months i have blown up the cv joint 3 or 4 times. i even shimmed up the rear end because i called tom woods and told them what was happening and they told me to shim it up to a certain degree. but 2 weeks later i blew it again. whats wrong here and i do not reccomend tom woods shafts because one he doesnt fix them for free when you break them more than once and ive only had it for a few months.

2. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

For some reason you are puting that CV joint in a bind. I have been running a Woods CV on my rear driveline for 6 years now (79 blazer with 205 tcase). I have replaced the ujoints because they were worn out but never blew it (running 36" for 3 years and 44" tires for 3 years). There is no reason it should be blowing that often...consider yourself lucky they replaced it once for free because it doesn't sound like it was their fault.

Transfercase/transmission/wheelbase info would be good to know.

Is your pinion angled so it points at your tcase rear output? If not this is a problem and it will gain you some height.

Do you have a slip yoke or fixed yoke on your t-case. If you have a slip yoke, changing to a fixed yoke can gain you some angle.

Do you brake it under axle wrap? In reverse? Add a traction bar if so.

Do you have a limiting strap? My guess is that you don't and under max droop it is binding. Back when I had a 4" lift and short rancho shocks I was fine...but know that I have flexy springs, 5-6" lift, and longer shocks mine can bind without a limiting strap.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Tom Woods often runs 1310 CVs. It's pretty likely you didn't bind it, 1/2 ton stuff just isn't up to the task of dealing with the torque our trucks produce.

Send it back and build, or buy, a 1 ton rated driveline and you will no longer have problems.

www.highangledriveline.com

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I would have to agree, sounds like to me you havean issue under the truck. Blindly shimming the rear to a degree does no good. I would suggest having someone who knows what they are looking at get the rear angle correct and then check out the axel wrap.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

When I blew up Jesse's CV he didn't tell me that at all. He said he was sorry for hot having me check angles and sent me a new driveline free of charge. I don't, "Consider myself lucky" that I dealt with someone that offers good service. I'm simply very thankful that I chose to deal with someone that takes care of his customers at any cost.

6. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Yep but if you had come back the second month with the same broken drive shaft would be replace it again....no of course not...he would be out of buesness if he did that. Its basicly what Bobby went thru with his longfields and why his warranty has changed. If he didn't have the repeat warrantys from people being to lazy to set their steering stops then he would still have his origional warranty program.

Very fiew companies will warranty something that broke from anything other than a material/craftsmanship problem.

Tom takes care of his customers just like jess does. I do think jess has better customer service since he goes out of his way to educate people....but thats not saying that Tom's stuff is bad by any means.

7. billys blazer

billys blazer Newbie

driveshaft

tom woods gave me the "correct" angles to shimm the rear end i didnt go into it blind and yet my shaft still breaks i have a slip yold and a 241C transfer case. ive been looking into the slip yolk eliminator but its 350 plus a new shaft and with still building up my car money is low. what do youall suggest

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

For $550 I would have went to High Angle and got there 1350 cv shaft, it is also $100 cheaper.
    Sounds like you dont really know how to check your angles so I would go get a angle finder and post up the #'s you get and we can help you.

9. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Jack the ass end up and let the springs go to full droop, then check for binding........did you measure the angle of the trans and the angle of the rear pinion? you have to find out this information and figure out the slope of the shaft. Talk to Tom himself , They built both of my shafts (1 Ton stuff) and they did a great job.we spoke for a while on the phone and he explained all the issues to me and what I needed to measure and then told me what I needed.

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

question....why do you have a high angle cv for only 6" of lift? 8" of lift on mine and i didn't even HAVE a cv in the rear and it still had the slip yoke. u-joints would last almost a year for me.....your angles must be horrible.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This post is worthless without pics :laugh:

I know the CV broke but is there any way to take a picture with what's left of the shaft in the truck. Mainly how the pinion and shaft relate to one another at ride height.

Also, what are the specs on your rig, how much to you "flex" your rig?

I like HAD shafts as I have had great experiences with them, but I know people running Tom's shafts and not having issues with them. Tom has been in business and gained enough of a reputation to know what he is doing. I could see it being wrong once (everybody makes mistakes), but for it to blow that many times in that short of time says to me that it is something other than his shaft that is causing the problem. Post some pics (preferably with the angle finder in use) and we should be able to help you.

P.S. Where in CT are you? I'm in Western MA (just North of Springfield).