Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshafts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78k5, Apr 25, 2000.

1. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

I just put a 6" Superlift kit on my 78k5 and my splines are now showing on my driveshatfs, does anyone know how to measure for longer driveshafts or if the driveshafts from a longbed pickup will fit?

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

measure the length of the slip out of the transfer case then jack up the back end (if possible) put it on jack stands now measure it thats the difference ussually you add 2" the shop that re does it should measure it for you.

3. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

measure the length with the suspension flexed(maximum), and measure the length with the suspension all the way in. split the difference and that will give you a pretty good start on what you will be looking for in a drive shaft.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, it kind of depends on what you are using the K-5 for and how much you flex it. Call Tom Woods and he can give you all the info you will ever need, and more if you want. I got both my shafts from him and have had no problems with them. Well except I crushed the rear one wheeling (thank god I bought the trail hazzard).

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

5. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Just curious, and maybe this is stupid but does anyone know of a way to find the spline location the driveshaft was supposed to be in?? I have vibrations attributed I think to drive shaft not being put back in the same place, and I'm hesitant (obviously) to try every combination.
    anyone?

6. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Mind if I interject?

Just for grins I jacked up the front of my stock 88 this past weekend. Placed the top of the jack just in front of the middle of the sway-bar (on the frame). Lifted it 4.5 inches (slowly) watching the brake lines on each pump. (God, it's great to have a shop jack at home.)

Anyway, the front shaft came about 1" out of the yolk. I measured it.

So how much is left inside? really don't feel like taking it apart to find out, since I know most of you guys have the answer to this. Just curious...especially if this represented what effect a 4" lift might have on the front.

(And yes I will SURELY need to get extended brake lines and/or relocate them.)

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com