Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshafts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjbear, Mar 17, 2000.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I am going to be buying a new drive shaft in the next week or two for my Jimmy. Has anyone ever ordered one through the mail? I was thinking of getting one from Tom Woods or Denny's. Anyone seen their work? Both seem to have a good rep. The other option I am looking at is a local place(Atlanta) called Big Mo's Spring Shop. They are also known for good work, at least among my friends. Anyone else have any ideas? No junk yards, stock only, or "discount" places, please. I know what I need and dont mind paying a fair price. Jim

BigJBear '80 GMC

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I'd go locally first....Make sure you measure it correctly and double check your measurements.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There is another place that I have heard good things about on new shafts. I have had this place fix a shaft before and I'm getting him to respline my shafts. I belive the place is call Drive Shaft service. They are on a access road just off 41 in Acworth/Kennasaw area.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, I live in Stockbridge and tried Atlanta Powertrain and another place, think it was called Atlanta Driveline. The 2nd one said he would have to order all the parts in. He built a front shaft for my buds 12" lifted k-5 Very short slip yoke and the shaft was pretty light.

For the prices they wanted I got 2 new shafts from TOM WOODS and the Trail Hazzard warratny. $650 shipped to the door. Both were his top of the line Heavy Duty shafts. All new SPICER parts and Joints. He paints them whatever color you want. I was very impressed with the quality of the shafts. I called Dennys, they seemed like a good place to do business with, but when I asked about longer slip yokes they seemed kinda lost. They are geared more towards race car stuff. Both Dennys and Tom Woods have lifetime warranty on their welds and the tube twisting. Dennys also has lifetime labor. If you need it retubed, lengthened, or shortened, all you pay for is parts. The labor is included for as long as you own the shaft.

On the other hand, Tom Woods sells a Trail Hazzard warranty for 20% of the cost of the shaft. I have dinged my rear one a couple of times, so for the $105 it cost me for both shafts for the warranty, it was well worth it for me, thats about the cost of a retube here in Atlanta. I got a 2 joint rear shaft with a 4" slipyoke and a C/V front shaft with a 6" slip yoke. Dennys did not offer a longer front yoke.

Atlanta Powertrain was OUTRAGUS on pricing. ]

There is also a place in Arizona. They sell longer slip yoke shafts and seem to do good work, but I could get no info on thier warranty and stuff. They also were kinda high. Wanted 300 bucks a shaft plus shipping.

If you call Woods, dont laugh on the phone, he sounds just like Ben Stein, I swear if he would have started saying BUELER, BUELER, BUELER, I would have fell out.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I was nervous the first time I ordered a part from the US being from the east coast of Canada so I can empathize. All I can say is that I'm glad my first ordering experience was with Tom Woods! Like Dep said, you can't touch the quality for the price. The stock shaft on my Blazer died just after buying it and the local GM dealer wanted over $1000 for a stock shaft and yoke. Tom had one made with 1350 u-joints including the yoke for the 10-bolt rear, painted the color I wanted and shipped to my door (US $ exchange rate included) for less than half of what the GM dealer wanted!! Twice the shaft for half the price!

You will not be disappointed with Tom Woods.

Good Luck
    Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!