Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DriveTrain Direct?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OLDSTEEL, Apr 10, 2000.

1. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

I've been calling around for new axles for my 12bolt and found what sounds like a good deal on the "full meal deal"(i.e.new axles, bearings, seals, and studs pressed on) for only $259. The manufacture is Superior Axles, the salesman at DriveTrain Direct said the are the best replacment axles for my application. My question is has anyone used these axles, if so what did you think about them? Secondly has anyone delt with DriveTrain Direct and what did you think of them price wise?

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

2. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

I purchased a set of the "Superior" axles for my 64 Nova. When I recieved them the box was tore halfway open with the axles hanging out, there was no information (no waranty info, nothing at all) with my new axles, not to mention they were not even what they were supposed to be (not "superior" but Toms Axles). I called the sales man back to see if he would be kind enough to send me the info and he said he would get it out first thing in the morning, I then asked about the fact that they werent "superior" axles and he said that it is the same blank just machined by someone else. I still have not recieved my waranty information! To top it all off they overcharged me (they had a free shipping special at the time.) and it took me almost a month to get the money credited back to my debit card. Their prices however are pretty good so I kept the axles.
    Curtis

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I got Moser axles with studs for about $220 for my 12 bolt. West Coast Diffs was professional and fast, but the guy that helped me was retarded. I ordered new gears for front and back and he wrote down the order for a set of 4.11's and a set of 4.56's. HELLO! 99.99999999% of 4x4 owners get the same gear ratio front and back. If you call there make sure you talk to someone besides a guy named Ed.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Dont know about the axles, Superior is supposed to be good and I believe they come with a 3 year warranty.

I have bought 2 lockers from Drivetrain Direct and they matched the best price I had and I got exactly what I ordered when they said it would be here.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

5. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I have one Superior axle in my 12 bolt. It is fine so far, about 4 months worth of 4 wheeling but I never broke a factory unit either. It honestly looks like a lower quality product then the original axle. But time will tell. I paid $94.99 for the axle plus tax locally without studs. Sounds like you got a good price. I've asked a lot of questions from Drivetrain Direct and they have given very thorough and quick answers.
    CB

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    All I can say is "buyer be wear", If your order is processed without any problems the first time then great go for it.
    But if there is a problem with your order it may take the fun out of getting the lowest price.
    DriveTrain Direct is selling you the warrenty, not the manufacture(Supeiro), and if you don't have the warrenty in writing what good does it do ? I called them to get a copy of the warrenty and they told me there is none in writing
    it is world of mouth and the company policy, ya right........
    IMHO pass on ordering for them unless you get a garrenty, like they ship it to you for free, and if your happy with
    it they send you a bill, let them wiat for the money !
    Good luck, and if you order from them you may need it.