Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivetrain grinding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rad Tad, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Rad Tad

Rad Tad Registered Member

This past Saturday I took my 1990 Blazer with a 4" pro-comp lift and 33's down a few muddy roads. It worked like a champ all day, not a single hiccup. I drove it to my parents house to ride with my brother in his k-5 for the nite. We got to my truck around 9 hours later, and when I went to move it, reverse was grinding horribly. It was also making a racket like the hubs were still locked it (it still has the factory auto-locks). I crashed on my mom and dad's couch for the night and the next morning took it for a spin. The reverse grind is still there, but now it is starting to grind in drive when the throttle is pushed over a fast idle. I did push it backwards to unlock the hubs, one did open for sure, but the noise is still there.

I have talked to some people and they have suggested the transfer case is to blame. I hope it dosen't take much to fix because I'm stuck driving my grandpa's Jeep Cherokee untill the K-5 is road-worthy again. Please help me get out of this MOPAR! :cool1:

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Did you adjust the linkage from the 4wd shifter to the transfer case?

3. Rad Tad

Rad Tad Registered Member

I haven't touched anything as of now. It is at my parent's house, which is 2 1/2 hour drive from here. I'll be back down there next weekend, and I plan on tearing into it then.

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

It might be grinding because the transfer case is in between 2wd and 4wd high. Get under the truck and disconnect the bracket going from the shifter to the transfer case the pull your shifter into the 4h position. manually move the arm on the transfer case to 4h then adjust the linkage. You should be able to move the shifter into each position while feeling it lock into place. This same thing happened to mine but it just kept popping out of 4 high when I would hit bumps while climbing hills......hope this helps.:)