Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivetrain guys NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Me89'Jimmy, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

this just started happening today, whenever i make a hard left or right turn, like out of a driveway, midway through the turn there is a violent and loud bang and right after the rear end feels like its trying to hop to one side or the other, almost like its been hit by a car and its trying to slide out from under the truck, something is obviosly broken or is in the process of breaking.
    its a 10 bolt rear, with a factory posi and 4.88 gears. Last time i looked at the posi one of the spider gears was missing a tooth. Any ideas, i need help fast, this is my only means of transportation. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

is it a posi or locker? my govlock will do that once in a while in reverse..

3. Me89'Jimmy

im pretty sure its a posi-traction

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Last time i looked at the posi one of the spider gears was missing a tooth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to sound rude... but are you serious? Busted spiders will cause that 10b to do all sortza wierd junk... not to mention popping, cracking, or FAILING... IE spitting out the axles on the street. IF the carrier were to fail... and it COULD... your C-clips could come away from the axle shafts thus allowing the shafts to exit the housing. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I'd pull the cover ASAP and find out what is happening and SOON, seeing as this is your primary mode of transportation!!!

-Dan

5. KRAZIE87K5

Also, as a note... POSI and SPIDERS don't go together! If you see spider gears (inside the housing) then its an open carrier. Just as an FYI! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

10 bolt gov-locs do have spider gears ALMOST just like a normal open carrier. the only difference is the toner rings around the outer spiders.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Id say your quality Gov-Loc is ready to go!

8. Me89'Jimmy

ya ive come to that conclusion as well, ive asked around to see what kind of lockers eveyone uses and ive done some price and quality comparisons too, i think im going to go with Powertraxs' No-Slip Locker. Any feed back from you guys would be much appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    Thanks

9. Me89'Jimmy

Final Update

just got the diff cover off, the spider gear on the left is missing 4 teeth in a row /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, the top gear is missing corners on three of its teeth, and the bottom gear is missing an entire tooth along with chunks of the teeth on either side of it. Long story short, im f***ed.
    Well hey at least now i have a reason to buy an aftermarket locker /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. KRAZIE87K5

Re: Final Update

DETROIT BABY! The only locker for the rear axle! Sorry to hear that! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Dan

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Now is the time you want to start thinking about getting a different axle. Putting money into a 10 bolt is not a good investment, I would try and find a replacement 10 bolt or something else completely *cough 14bff cough*. If you take it to a shop to get the work done, with all the metal floating around in your diff they will want to rebuild the whole thing and probably get you for a ring and pinion too. Don't make the mistake of putting $2000 into your 10 bolt.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't make the mistake of putting $2000 into your 10 bolt.

[/ QUOTE ] no $hit, junk the 10bolt for a good 14bsf that is 6 lug or go al out with a 3/4 ton swap witha 14BFF.

85K5 3/4ton,14b0ltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My rearend in my DD bangs an clunks every day, but it has a Lock-Right in it!

14. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

exact same thing mine did before it cracked in half. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif