Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drivetrain issues.......sos...sos...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by delta9blazer, Jul 2, 2002.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

nasty rattly sound under nuetral throttle at regular speeds. thought it was the R&P, but have different rear-end now, with exact same noise.
    trucks runs smooth until i let off the gas.
    i'm ready to pay a professional, but i thought you guys could either trouble shoot for me, or steer me to a good truck place.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Do you have catalitic converters in your exahust? Could be the honeycomb inside has busted loose and at idel and lowere RPms the rattle would be hecka loud. With your motor off shake your exahaust pipe near the cat.
    Or
    Ujoints in your driveshaft? How Old?

Hope this helps
    Burt

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Is your truck lifted? It's probably the u-joints being not in phase...mine made a horrible sound after I lifted mine from 4 up to 6 inches...had to shim the rear end to get the angles right again...or maybe you have a u-joint going bad?

4. delta9blazer

my catalytic converter does make a noise, but this noise is different. much scarier, with a vibration. more along the lines of the u-joints or whatever being outta whack.
    where could i go to figure out the angle of my dangle? and these shims that you speak of... what manner of things be these?

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I belive there is a driveline shop next to the 580 by the Vasco exit. Ya know were the boats are for sale? Right there use to be a driveline shop, they have the angle finder that will tell you if your angle is off. The shims are shaped like a door stop you slide under a door. The amount of angle the shim is is the degree of that shim. They are place inbetween your spring pack and perch.
    Best of luck
    Burt

6. delta9blazer

cool. maybe i'll drive my truck tomorrow. i'm in the honda today, i'll cruise by and look for the place. in fact, i think i saw some guys on strike right by there. i wonder if it's the angle finders union?
    i hope not!

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

LOL
    Maby lookup driveline service in the yahoo yellow pages for Livermoore? I have a little buzzzz in my head that is telling me that shop moved but I cannot recall for sure! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif It may be there still and it was just that 4x4 shop that is gone, remember that 4x4 sign next to the hwy? Anyway get the angle checked before you waiste time swappin in new joints. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    You may beable to rent an angle finder somewere local by your house. It is just a triangle with a level of some sort that points at an angle degree mark/number.

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm, Check to see that the yokes on both ends of your driveline are in the same relation to each other.....One could be 90 degrees from the other. Double and triple check them u-joints too, Check the CV joint on the front driveline...Had to rebuild mine recently because of a vibe similiar to yours.

9. delta9blazer

would the front act like that even when only in 2WD?

i went by the frontage road yesterday, and didn't see the driveline shop. i see a few in the concord area, maybe i'll go on a parts run for the company and swing by one.

10. delta9blazer

i'm gonna go by cali truck works in tracy after work. see if they see anything obviously wrong under there.
    don't really want to drive the honda to lakeport this weekend. although the roads above calistoga are definitely twisty.....

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a great idea. Always good to have a trained eye take a peek /forums/images/icons/smile.gif