Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drivetrain noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85Jimmy, Apr 14, 2003.

1. 85Jimmy

85Jimmy Registered Member

my jimmy makes a nasty grinding noise when decreasing speed from above 45mph. I checked all the fluid levels they are fineand the u joints are good, It has manual hubs a th700r4 np208 and a 10bolt rear end. The problem only happens when your are slowing down but still on the gas some, it stops if you let off the gas all the way, it happens in od and drive. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks, Chris

2. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

I'd recommend pulling the inspection cover off and checking the bolts on the flexplate and torque converter.(I think you can get to the flex plate ones like that; sure someone else will chime in) I've heard of them making some pretty strange noises when loose.

3. 85Jimmy

85Jimmy Registered Member

is it possible that add a leafs are making the driveshaft angle bad enough to cause this problem?- it did not start until a little while after i installed the add a leafs -but just today i loaded about 600 pounds of stuff in the back and it seemed to almost go away p.s. all the susp. is stock except for the rancho shocks and rancho add-a-leafs. Thanks-Chris

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I HAD THIS PROBLEM! I hated it... it used to only happen at 65+mph thought it was my tcase, got it rebuilt but it still happened. (i have an sm465 btw) and it pissed me off, after i got my 14bolt ff in, it started happening at 45mph. When i let off completely it would grind, when i let off and give it a tiny bit of gas it would do it when i let off and gas it. And it would do it with the clutch pushed in at 60mph+

I got a cv shaft and guess what, no vibes, no grinding. Happy sailing. I suggest finding a better driveline angle via shims or lowering your tcase a tad-- btw fill out your profile. If not that, then its probably something related to tcase and a bad chain in your 208

--about loading stuff in your truck, when i had my front axle in the bed of my truck, before i got my cv shaft, everything also seemed good, less vibes, less grinding noise, etc. So yeah... it could definately be your angles.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

let us know how it works out for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif