Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drivetrain opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nerraw117, Feb 18, 2007.

1. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

ok so i want the enfemous ck5 opinion. i have a 350 that is slower than dirt engine. and a turbo 350 and 203. the 350 is starting to slip i believe and the 203 hates being shifted and the shifter just broke off, and im not 100% sure the 4wd still works (either that or one of my hubs broke) but i am torn between making some changes maybe 465 and 205? i know its bulletproof but my friend is deterring me away from it saying it will be too hard to use 3 pedeals on a hill. rebuild 350 and twin stick 203 (if t-case is still good)? thanks you for your help ck5

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

are you sure that the 350 motor is the prob? my motor was **** before it went lol. but i also am runnin 33s with 3.08s check your axle gears taht could havea lot to do with "slower than dirt"

if one of your hubs is broke it will make a grinding noise anytime its put into 4wd...or locked in

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

by all means go for the sm465. the gearing is awesome and it will make your motor seem like it has more power even if you have really high gears.

it may be hard to use three pedals at once but after enough practice it will become an easy habit. after having mine for only three months I try to clutch and shift automatics when I drive em.

4. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

i have 3.73 with bald 35's 3/4 ton no my hubs are quite. im not worried about being slow i just need some opinions on my drivetrain because of my shifter on the 203 being broke

5. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

anyone else opinion? how much should i give for a 465/205 with hydro?

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sell the th350, buy a rebuild kit for the range box portion of the np203... rebuild it, add a doubler + np205... and use whichever tranny you like. I'd go with a th400... but if you want an auto, the 465 is the shizzle. Rebuilt 350 engines are about as cheap as any v8 will ever be. Find a reputable shop and snag one. :) If you like the engine you have now, its just tired... see how much your local engine rebuilder will charge you if you pull it yourself.

j

7. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

You mean if he wants a manual. The SM465 is a good tranny, but it has it's downfalls too. TH350's are a very good transmission but as with ANY transmission sooner or later they need a rebuild. The good thing about the th350's is they can be rebuilt for a very reasonable price. I would rebuild it with a good shift kit, then dig around and find a NP205 that'll bolt right up. You can twin stick the t-case now or later, it's up to you. That's the most simple, bullet-proof solution IMO.

8. jekbrown

yeah yeah thats what I meant. manual schmanual. ;) :thumb: I'd still take a th400 over a th350. Same cost to rebuild, and stronger. Go with a full manual valve body and its a hella simple trans too... no kick down switches or TV cables or electronic BS or computers etc. Bolt it in, add a cool shifter, and rock on.

j

9. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

so yall are saying i should rebuild the tranny or get a th400, and fix the 203 for now until i can get the money for a doubler? how much does a doubler normally cost like for everything?

10. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

im looking for th cheapest bang for the buck option,. i know a guy to completely rebuild the th350 for around 300 if i go that route. edit doubler adapter alone is around 700. way too much. i could either try and fix the shifter problem and hope my th350 is ok. or swap 465/205 and never have to worry about a doubler because its so low.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  11. jekbrown

lotsa guys with manuals run doublers. auto gear ratios may seem "high", but there is the standard 2x multiplier for the TC. at any rate, if that kind of bling isn't in your price range, then sure, rebuild the th350 and the 203 and roll with it. I'm not a big fan of the 203 as a t-case though...

j

12. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

First thing I would do is get rid of the 203 and go to a 205. The trans depends on you. If you want an auto and are trying to go the cheapest route, rebuild the 350. If you have never driven a rig with a 465 you should see if someone on the board lives close enough to you to take you out and let you see for yourself how well they do. At that point I have a feeling you will go manual. I bought my 87 with a 465 and a 77 with a new 350 with the plans of a swap from manual to auto for the mud. However after taking the 87 out I changed my mind real quick. You do have an advantage at mud boggs with an auto's ability to change gears much faster than you can with a manual, other than that I have found no real upsides to having the auto over the manual.