Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivetrain problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BustedTrojan, Sep 20, 2005.

1. BustedTrojan

BustedTrojan Registered Member

1st Problem

I have an 85 K5. I assume the T Case is an NP 208. Don't know for sure. The original motor was a 305 pushing a 700R4. At any rate... the thing started leaking like a sieve a few weeks ago out of the rear seal for the rear drive shaft. I replaced the seal and it seemed to work for a couple of weeks. Now it's leaking again. It might be coincidence, but this started after I put a 406 and a built tranny in... so I've been having a little fun with it. Any suggestions?

2nd Problem

I lifted it back in 2000. Both drive shafts have about an inch or two of shiny metal that used to be inside T Case/ slide thingy on the front drive shaft. Should I get longer drive shafts, and if so where? Would this issue be a contributing factor to the aformentioned problem?

I appreciate the help

2. BustedTrojan

BustedTrojan Registered Member

After using the handy "search tool"... I see I most likely have an NP208 which is filling with fluid from the transmission. What I have not seen is how to fix this? Suggestions?

Thanks

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

there should be a round tag that says np208 on the tcase.

are you sure its the d shaft seal? sometimes the rtv seal between the tcase and tranny starts to leak because the bolts weren't tight enough, weren't locktighted, or didn't have enought rtv. Theres also an rtv seal going completly around the tcase right throught the middle that likes to leak.

As for your driveshafts the front should be ok because its made to telescope... but that depends on how much lift you put on it. the rear should get lenthened as soon as possible. If you don't you'll end up rounding out the yoke and you'll need a new yoke and a longer d shaft instead of just a longer d shaft. Ask me how i know. i had my entire rear end yoke as smooth as a baby's behind which resulted in my u joint falling out at 65 mph.

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

if it is in fact the tranny dumping ATF in the t-case, you need to replace the seal that is on the adapter between the two. should be a large O-ring.