Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivetrain Swap questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddindirty, Mar 16, 2007.

1. muddindirty

muddindirty Registered Member

O.K., I know I am noob material on this board but I don't know where to begin searching for the questions I have on this subject. As you can see in my sig I have a 74 K20 with all the one ton upgrades used primarily for mudding as we are flatlanders down here in LA and the truck is a rustbucket. I would like to make my rig roadworthy as possible and a half a$$ looker which I do not see doing with the amount of work and money that would be involved in this truck. It needs new doors, quarters, rockers, floors, windshield, and a few other things that i dont see dumping money into just another truck.

My buddy down the road has a first gen K5 which I love the body style on as its a timeless piece of engineering that he bought just for the drivetrain and has no use for the body. I had a 81 K5 that was a rustbucket also and since getting rid of it I have wanted another one, especially a first gen.

My question is, how much of my equipment that I have now would directly swap into the K5? Is the spring perch width the same? How about the spring eye to eye length. What wouldI have to do to retro the crossover steering I have now to the older chassis? I know I have to shorten d-shaft lengths and return my ORD bolt in brace that I just bought but havent installed for a first gen model but what other bugs would I have to work out to make this work?

Any feedback on these questions are greatly appreciated as I know I have come to the land of K5 Guru's.

Thanks, Muddindirty

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Pretty much everything you have on your 2nd gen will swap over with little or no work. The complete front axle and all steering is a direct swap however the front springs are different. The rear axle will require moving the spring perches inboard by a total of 2" and possibly the shock mounts moved as well. The 2nd gen rear springs will bolt into a 1st gen and give a smoother ride.

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you may be doing some measuring. I don't know about directly swapping in, but there are some modified 1st gen K5's on here, that they might enlighten you as to what they've done.
    Good luck with your classic.

I guess Scott answered both our questions.

Way to go Scott.

4. muddindirty

muddindirty Registered Member

Scott, In your knowledge with front springs being different, Will my 6" Skyjacker springs fit at all? Or will I have to get another spring or modify hangers to get them in.

Moving the rear perches and shock mounts is no problem either on the rear so my 6" springs will fit, correct?

Also, is the steering box I just finished rebuilding a direct swap? That would be sweet if it is.

Thank you both for your replys and keep them coming.

Anybody else with a first gen feel fre to chime in as your knowledge is appreciated.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The front springs are shorter on a 1st gen IIRC but i'm sure if you move the mounts you could get them to work.

The steering box should be the same with maybe the exception of the coupler being a different diameter. That would be easily cured though by buying the correct coupler assembly.