Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivetrain swap?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kenaik5, Jan 17, 2006.

1. kenaik5

kenaik5 Registered Member

I took my 72 to a local 4wd shop to see about having some rear disc brakes installed. They talked to me about future plans for the truck and after some discussion, I've decided to ditch the 1/2 ton gear and search for some 1 ton stuff to build. My 1/2 ton is already pretty built having hardened axles, lockers, and gears , so it's not going anytime real soon, so i was going to pick up some axles to build up slowly. My question is what would everybody recommend as far as axles go. I'm in no hurry for these so i would like to build them over time, but I'm new to this so I'm really not even sure what to look for in ads or junkyards? Any info appreciated

2. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    14 bolt full floater rear and Dana 60 front.

If you look around you might get lucky and score from somebody upgrading. I got my axles from a guy upgrading to rockwells and they have a detroit in the rear, welded front, upgraded shafts, 4 wheel disc, hydro steering, shaved rear, diff guard etc. so it saved me quite a bit of money and yes the front is only a 10 bolt but it was still a deal.

Just keep your eyes and ears open and start researching what trucks came with what axles! Happy hunting.

3. 4bynut

4bynut 1/2 ton status

If you already have upgraded shafts in the front. I'd just swap to 8 lug outer on the front. And either a 14 bolt FF or a built eaton on the rear. I'm going with a 71 eaton on the rear of my 68 mud truck. They are as light as a D60 rear, but as strong as a 14bolt. Gears, lockers, and rear disk kits for a 14bolt swap to them as long as you use a pair of 14bolt axles (more splines). Also the eaton would be the same width as your D44 front. Sorry for the run on. Just my $.02. Good luck with the swap. Jason

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

CUCV military 1 ton trucks can be found for a good price. They will have a 14FF and a Dana 60 and will have 4.56 gears and a locker in the rear. I have seen the entire truck sell for as low as 750.00. The axles by themselves are usually around 1500.00 for the pair.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The simple advice is choose the tire size you want FIRST.

After that, the rest of your decisions are pretty much automatic....anything over 36" is basically 1-Ton territory....though you can do an 8-Lug D44 up front if you leave the diff open.

D60/14BFF is a proven swap...it's basically bulletproof, but it's a costly upgrade to do completely with lockers, crossover steering, new wheels and the new larger tires.