Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivetrain upgrade?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PGW, Apr 22, 2007.

1. PGW

PGW 1/2 ton status

Would I need to upgrade the front or rear end with a six inch lift and 36x14.5 tires? It would be only for mild offroad, nothing too serious. Thanks. :D

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

welcome... more info on the truck would help.. year, trans and current gearing would help...

it'll be doggier depending on the gears you have now, and certainly will get your tranny hotter, which could be death for a 700r4...

3. PGW

PGW 1/2 ton status

It's a '85 Burb with a 700R4, NP208, and stock gearing. It's got 33's on it right now and runs those with no problems.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well, if it spins 33's ok, i'll assume it has 3.73's.. it'll do ok, but it will be doggier to the point you might wanna, at some point, swap in some 3/4 tons that come with 4:10's most of the time..

and you will kill that trans unless you put a cooler on it, heck you should have one on it now... and don't expect to see OD often...

might wanna peek in the glovebox for an RPO that'll give you current gearing..

5. PGW

PGW 1/2 ton status

It's got a trans cooler on it right now, if I was smart I'd put a second one on too. I'll check the RPO later today. Thanks for all the help.

6. PGW

PGW 1/2 ton status

Oh, and would I just need to upgrade the rear end or do the front to? And can you have 6 lug axles on a 14 bolt rear end?

7. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

front and rears need same gears and generally no you cant put on six lugs on a 14ff its either very pricey and not practical or just not safe.