Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivetrain Vibes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EricM, Aug 15, 2001.

1. EricM

EricM Registered Member

Ok I have a 72 Jimmy with 6" lift out back and and 4" in front. I recently put a 14FF w/gov-loc in the rear and D60 in the front. Then I swapped the rear yoke on the T-case to accept a 1350 joint and had a custom drive shaft made for the rear. Now I have a new vibe. It sounds like gears clattering. When I get up to about 40mph and let off the gas it does this then when I ease back onto the gas same thing. It goes away with constant throttle pressure. Any ideas what it could be? Oh yeah I have an SM465 which was rebuilt about 2 years ago so I doubt it's that. And the angle from the T-case yoke is within a couple degrees of the yoke on the rear end. I never had this vibe running the stock shaft with a conversion joint. What should the yoke on the rear of a 205 be torqed to? I torqed it to 95ft/lbs could this be causing the noise? Please help I'm stumped.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I get a grinding noise as I let off the throttle or just start getting into the throttle. It is the front driveshaft and is either a bad slip joint or a bad double cardon joint.

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think it's the bearing in the back of your transfer case. I was going to suspect the pinion bearing but since you're asking for the torque of something that I would think would require a preload, I'm thinking you overtightened the yoke in the back of your 'case and that's what the result is.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles