Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drivetrain vibrations

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dmeyer, Feb 28, 2002.

1. dmeyer

dmeyer Registered Member

I have a 90 fullsize blazer. The rearend is just rebuilt and I put in new ujoints on both ends of the rear driveshaft. When coasting to a stop from 40 or about 50 there is an almost grinding noise that sounds like it is comming from the transfer case or an area around there. It only happens at those speed when I let off the gas till about 30 then it goes away. I cannot tell any major vibrations in accelerating or cruizing but sometimes when I take my foot off the gas it makes that noise. Thanks for any help in advance.
    Later

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your rear diff is starting to wear out. If the bearing are worn out then there will be play inside and start to make a rattling noise. Do you also hear a high pitched whine as you're driving down the freeway? That would be the ring and pinion not meshing correctly. Also make sure the t-case is filled with fluid and not running dry along with the diff.

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

My 1989 Blazer does the same thing... can't pinpoint it just yet.. I'm thinking t-case bushings are shot.. i've replaced just about everything else..

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

4. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

I had a simular problem also I put in a polyurethane t-case mount and it cured it .........

1988 k-5 blazer 5.7

5. dmeyer

dmeyer Registered Member

Thanks for all the replys. The transfercase mount sounds interesting, I will have to give mine a look. 1Bad 88 did your old mount look bad or was it something that you couldn't really see?
    The whole rear end has just been rebuilt, not even a hundred miles yet so I hope that is not the problem. Rocko, if you figure it out let me know, that would be a great help.
    Later