Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivetrain Woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PGW, Apr 26, 2007.

1. PGW

PGW 1/2 ton status

On my '85 Burb with a 700R4, NP208, and 10bolts, when I run it in 4HI on a hot day for extended periods of time (cruising soft sand on the beach), every once in a while it will just pop into neutral, both axles. And if I try to shift back to 2WD the shifter won't move, it will go into neutral but then it will make a terrible stripping noise. It just kind of will stick in neutral but in 4HI positiion. To shift back into 2WD I have to actually turn off the engine, then it will shift back into 2WD (or 4LO), and work fine until if pops into neutral. I'm thinking the t-case is fixing to go out. What do you guys think?

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Those little plastic pads are prolly worn out in the case. Next time put the trans in park or neutral, and that grinding will stop.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, shifting from N on the t/case while the motor is running is painfull. It's probebly jumping out because of transmission wind up. Do you need 4 wheel drive in that situation? there's a lot of forces going on in that t/case in 4hi/low on surfaces that aren't that loose.

4. PGW

PGW 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah I just remembered, I think I had it backwards. When it pops into neutral the t-case won't shift at all, it's when I put the tranny in park that it starts the stripping noise.

5. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

When you put it into neutral, stuf starts free wheeling inside the trans, you would have to let it stop before shifting.

6. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Is the shifter acting like the linkage is binding or what? Does it seem something inside the case is preventing it from engaging? Does it pop out of gear when you flex or on flat ground (sandy beach) and do you have body lift?

This is normal. You should shift the case while the tranny is in nuetral.

7. PGW

PGW 1/2 ton status

Well I was running 4hi on a hot day through solid sugar sand and it kicked into neutral again. Again the t-case shifter locked up and I had to turn the engine off to fix everything again. Could this be the tranny overheating? When it happens it just feels like if you would pop it into neutral, I don't hear any 'bad' noises. This is all on flat beach, I have no lift at all. :confused: