Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DRIVEWAY ALIGNMENT?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jun 20, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Does anyone here do a alignment in their driveway with non-special tools? Confedneck was telling me how to do it with strong and adjust the tie rod but what about the camber? ANY suggestion will be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

My Chiltons manual for 73-82 Blazers and Jimmys says how to do an alignment yourself. Might be a place to start.

Kris

3. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Use a string to measure the front tires. The distance from the fronts of the tires should be the same as the rears of the tires, adjust accordingly. Straight axles have no camber adjustment.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

its really easy...we're just gonna center the steering wheel and make it drive straight enough for him to get it to my shop on a saturday and do it right... but the string trick wont work because the track width isnt the same front and rear... DOH so i was thinkin of using a level..

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You need to chalk the center of the tire. Then you spin the tire and make a mark in the chalk with a scribe. Then you measure the front and back side of the tires. The diference is your Toe in or out.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i used a 1x4 to do it, they are supposed to be toed in about 1/4" on stock tires, otherwise it will pull during braking.

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just got my alignment done and the guy at the shop said to pick a specific place on the front, inside, of the tire and measure to the exact same place on the other tire. Then do the same for the rear of the tires and the rear should be 1/4" more than the front.