Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveway Clean up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jun 13, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well I discovered a 3/4ton swap isent really easy with just one floor jack. And it is VERY messy So I started the project and get all kinds of oil and greese on my parents asfalt(blacktop) driveway needless to say there not happy SO is there ANYTHING that I can use to clean this? I was planing on trying geese lighting and scrubing it then using a gas powered pressure washer but im not sure if that would even help any help I REALLY NEED THIS CLEAN /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

spray some brake cleaner and gas on the driveway and light it, i bet they wont be worried about grease stains anymore...wait, already tried that, didnt you?

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Since Asphalt will "melt" with any decent cleaner, Your only choice is a pressure washer with just water to blow the crap off. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

2000 psi water...

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I've used Spic 'n Span with a stiff bristle brush on concrete with fairly decent results. That was over 20 yrs ago though, do they still sell that stuff? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

dawn dish detergent,stiff brush and hot water helps
    dont put the dawn directly on drivewayor call por 15
    for marine clean www.por15.com

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

a rag and some gas, i prefer 93 octane, and wipe it off, works wonders, my dad showed me this trick because i made a massive oil stain in our already stained driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

OK, I don't have any suggestions on cleaning the driveway, but I just have to ask.... How in the hell did you make such a mess while swapping axles? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've done the 3/4-ton axle swap on 2 different rigs and never spilled a drop of oil or grease either time. I can see losing a few drops of brake fluid when you disconnect the rear line, but that's easily captured in a catch pan. So, where did all this oil and grease come from? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Confedneck

harry, well, we took the diff covers off, and cleaned the diffs out and then while moving them it all spilled out, so there's about 2 or 3 quarts of diff oil mixed with gas, brake cleaner, mineral spirits, oh and we sprayed the axle tubes periodically with gas to break up the rust we were wire wheeling away...

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    we sprayed the axle tubes periodically with gas to break up the rust we were wire wheeling away...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Luckily, you're still alive to tell us about it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Using gas a solvent is NEVER a good idea! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif There are plenty of non-flammable solvents available to do the job...

And next time, wait until the axles are installed in the truck before you remove the diff covers. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. Confedneck

psshhht he wouldnt let me spray the gas on then light it to burn the rust off, not sure why LOL

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

UHH last night we did and we blew a flame from nitro methane about 25 FT too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Reseal the WHOLE driveway.

14. Confedneck

why would we re-seal it, it hasnt ever been sealed, DOH!, but i figure a couple (see hundred) boxes of SOS pads and a bucket or two hundred of water would work...LOL